Skip to main content
A belated Happy New Year to you all! I hope you all had a great Christmas as well. 

The Fifth Letter was my first read of 2017, and I enjoyed it. It wasn't all that I thought it would be but it still held my attention.

The Fifth Letter is published on January 24th 2017 but it's is very much an ADULT read! It's is about 4 girls, Joni, Deb, Trina and Eden who were friends at school. They go away to a house for a get together trip in their 30's. The main part of the story is set while the girls are in their 30's. One of them has the idea for them each to write a secret - something they've never told anyone else before but it's kept confidential. Then each one of the girls will read a random secret, and try to work out who it belongs to. 

Spoilers below...

There's a FIFTH letter (what the book is titled) as one of the girls writes two letters. This fifth letter is noticed by Joni, so we know it's not hers straight away. The book is kind of a contemporary/mystery trying to work out just who wrote the fifth letter. 

While I enjoyed the mystery aspect for what it was, I was slightly let down when it was revealed who the fifth letter had belonged to. I'm not going to spoil who it was here because I don't feel there's really much point in reading this book if you already know from the outset. It doesn't just throw who it is in your face, which is good. The reason that I was disappointed was that I didn't really like the character of whom wrote the 5th letter. 
There were a couple of the main girls that I just didn't like from the beginning. I found them boring to read about. 

Also, this book deals with the relationships of all of the main characters. We see their friendship falter at times as well as with their husbands back home. For example, one of the husbands is controlling, while another doesn't show that he loves his wife, while another has a thing for one of the other girls in the story...

I enjoyed this book as I said above but it wasn't a stand out book that I'll reread any time soon. I'm therefore giving The Fifth Letter 3 stars. 

Will you be reading The Fifth Letter when it releases? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fifth Letter by Nicola Moriarty Review.

Hi ForeverBookers, a belated Happy New Year to you all! I hope you all had a great Christmas as well. The Fifth Letter was my first read of 2017, and I enjoyed it. It wasn't all that I thought it would be but it still held my attention.

I got The Fifth Letter as a NetGalley arc so thank you to NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read it.


The Fifth Letter is published on January 24th 2017 but it's is very much an ADULT read! It's is about 4 girls, Joni, Deb, Trina and Eden who were friends at school. They go away to a house for a get together trip in their 30's. The main part of the story is set while the girls are in their 30's. One of them has the idea for them each to write a secret - something they've never told anyone else before but it's kept confidential. Then each one of the girls will read a random secret, and try to work out who it belongs to.

It's  set in Australia, which is a little different as most books I read are set in the USA/th…

The Bear And The Nightingale by Katherine Arden Review

Hi ForeverBookers,

I got The Bear And The Nightingale for review from NetGalley but I only gave it 1.5 stars (2 on Goodreads).

While I enjoyed certain elements of The Bear And The Nightingale, I found a lot of it to be quite confusing. The only thing that kept me reading was Vasya and her untoward behaviour to others as well as her relationships towards the end. I just skipped over the religious stuff as that didn't interest me in the slightest. The folkloric elements, while complex were again a little confusing.
This is a book to be read around Halloween/Winter I think as some of the elements are rather creepy. Because of these creepy elements I'd say this is an ADULT novel as well. It's also set in a cold Russia. 
I don't want to write spoilers at all in this review because I didn't understand all of the elements as I've said above and so there's every chance that I could get it wrong.
I'd give this book a 1.5 stars (2 on Goodreads) because I didn…

The Futures by Anna Pitoniak Review

Hey ForeverBookers, 
Yesterday, I finished a contemporary book called The Futures by Anna Pitoniak and it was great! This would have been what I read for Read A Hyped Book for the booktubathon, as I've heard a few Booktubers hype it up.
It's now available to buy/download too. I read the arc from NetGalley so thanks to them for giving me access.
It's told in duel POV format, where we see how the main events of the book affect both our main characters, Evan and Julia. The perspectives were quite easy to tell apart as each chapter is titled with the name of the character it's coming from. Also it switched every chapter as well as the personalities differing throughout. I normally don't like it when a female author writes a male POV or vice versa because I don't think they know what men feel, just as I don't think men know what women feel. I, however thought that Pitoniak did a good job in this case as the story deals more with emotion than sex, I guess. The Futur…