Hey ForeverBookers,
I’ve just finished “The Memory Of Babel” by Christelle Dabos, and I’m surprised to say that I really enjoyed it. I’d heard that this was the most romance forward of the four “Mirror Visitor”books, and while I’m not sure that’s necessarily the case I really enjoyed the pacing of this book. It didn’t feel as if we were stuck on a part of the story for too long anywhere.
“The Memory Of Babel” is set around two and a half years after the conclusion of “The Missing of Clairdelune.” Our protagonist, Ophelia lost her betrothed, Thorn due to her powers as an Anima not being strong enough. Can she find him and in so doing help bring the Other, the formidable, unknowable enemy to the surface? I’ll let you read for yourself but I enjoyed this 3rd book a LOT more than #2, which seemed to just plod along slowly. With “The Memory Of Babel” I was always eager to turn the next page!
“The Memory Of Babel” is told in two parts. I enjoyed the second half more. Although the first half wasn’t bad. The story was very simple, which I appreciated.
I read “The Memory Of Babel” for one readathon, which was:
Reading Rivalry - Believe In Yourself - Ophelia has to believe in what she’s doing to accomplish her goals!
Spoilers Below…
“Ophelia felt as if all those clock hands were turning just to remind her of what she didn’t wish to remember.
“Two years and seven months.”
This opens the story. At the end of “The Missing of Clairdelune,” #2, Ophelia lost her betrothed, Thorn by one of the gods of her arc, Anima getting annoyed. This whole book is basically about her trying to find him and work with him if she can find him.
As I said in the intro to this post, we never spend too long anywhere in this 3rd book. I thought we might as the first and second book were quite slow paced for me. This book was certainly a LOT easier to binge.
“Ophelia didn’t need to know any more to understand that the Lords of LUX were to Babel what the Doyennes were to Anima: Guardians in the service of God.”
Ophelia is only in Babel because she’s trying to find Thorn. Their customs are slightly different there, she learns, although they have the same concept of leaders. When Ophelia asks her new friend Ambrose who the Lords of LUX are, his response is “a very ancient institution, mademoiselle. They are patrons who make their wealth available to all enterprises deemed of public service. True philanthropists!” Can Ophelia stay under the radar and avoid them? She becomes Eulalia to do try to do this.
By the midpoint of the book she does find Thorne. Is he the same man he was before or is he different? I’ll let you read for yourself. I really enjoyed reading the story when he came back into the plot. Just what is Thorn trying to accomplish? I’m excited to find out just who “the Other” is in the last book and what their main plot is…
There aren’t many romantic elements to “The Memory Of Babel,” I don’t think. This didn’t slow me down though because the plot was fast paced without the romance which isn’t something I often find!
Overall, then I really enjoyed “The Memory Of Babel.” I’m going to read “House of Flame and Shadow” (CC #3) next to get ready for “A Court Of Splintered Harmony,” (ACOTAR #6) next!
Comments
Post a Comment