Skip to main content

A Photo Finish (Gold Rush Ranch #2) by Elsie Silver Review

 Hi ForeverBookers,


How are you doing in this hot weather? I hope you’re doing well! 


I’ve just finished reading “A Photo Finish,” which I really enjoyed. It had a little bit of a slower start than “Off To The Races,” #1 Gold Rush Ranch which I was worried about when I started but at about the half way point it gathered pace and was really good from then on. 


“A Photo Finish” tells the story of Violet, the little sister of Rhett and Cade that have their books in the next Elsie Silver series, “Flawless” and “Heartless” books 1 and 2 in the “Chestnut Springs series.” I loved reading about Violet. She’s a horse woman as most of the main characters be they male or female, in Elsie Silver’s books are. She’s very much just into her own life. Her horses are the most important things to her. Her main horse in “A Photo Finish” is called Pipsqueak, or Pippy as she’s affectionately known. That is until a certain man called Cole Eaton enters her life…


I read “A Photo Finish” for a few readathons. They were:


Reading Rivalry - Yellow Card - A yellow book cover - there’s enough yellow on the US cover of “A Photo Finish” to count.


Spoilers Below…


“It’s been too long since you last had sex, Vi.


Pretty_in_Purple: Well, thank you for considering me?

Goldigger85: Are you going to think about it?

Pretty_in_Purple: Probably not.


He doesn’t respond after that.” - 49


This is one of the messages that Violet and Cole send each other before they know each other. Violet wants to have a sexual reawakening if you like. She meets this guy online and likes him. What she doesn’t know is that, said guy turns out to be her boss, Cole Eaton. Cole has issues of his own to contend with. As an ex soldier he lost his leg in combat so he thinks he’s not wanted by anyone. However, Violet wants him more and more every time she sees him. Can they be together or do things keep getting in the way? I’ll let you read for yourself but it was touch and go. Elsie’s books only end one way in my experience, though! 


At the beginning of the book, Violet has an incident with another horse man, Patrick Cassel at a race. He’s rude to her. “Patrick is slimy and entitled and makes me feel like I have bugs stuck under my clothes. Based on Billie’s retelling of their encounter he’s condescending and sexist to boot. I want nothing to do with the man.” This is how Patrick makes Violet feel. He causes an accident, that means Violet has to take time out of horse racing while she recovers…of course, this also means that she can’t move around as much or even walk properly to begin with. She therefore moves in with Cole because his house is the most accessible one going. This encounter basically sets up the rest of the book, as without the accident I don’t think Violet and Cole would have had to spend much time together. 


Where I really started to enjoy “A Photo Finish” was around the chapter 15 mark. “Where are you sore?” he repeats his question. 

Transfixed by the sight of him kneeling over me, oozing raw masculine power, I lick my lips. It’s like a shot to my core. What I wouldn’t give to watch Cole Harding move above me with that look on his face.

“My neck and shoulders,” I squeak out, trying to play it cool and failing miserably. 

He leans over me, the sheer width of him casting a shadow over my body as his hands slide across my collarbones and rub at my shoulders, digging in so hard that it almost hurts, an ache blooms into a burn that blooms into pure consuming heat.” - 167 This is significant because it’s the first time we see Violet hot and heavy for Cole. She wants to remain calm and collected around him but in this story, of course that isn’t going to happen. She wants Cole and she can’t deny it, however much she might try to. 


Cole is an ex soldier with issues of his own. Also because his father died on the track, racing years before he doesn’t like horses or at least he claims not to like horses. When Violet moves in with him she takes her horse Pipsqueak with her. I enjoyed seeing Cole relax around Pippy kind of like he was getting his life back thanks to Violet. They both help each other see what the other is missing and are there for each other. I love stories like this.  


Cole becomes very protective of Violet, some might say a little too protective. When he questions if her career is safe as a jockey, this puts a wall between them. 


“Is that safe?” I ask before I can stop myself. But really, she just spent the night sleeping poorly and hiking up and down a mountain to help my crippled ass. Running around at high neck speeds on a thousand-pound animal being anything short of perfectly alert seems dangerous to me.” 


Cole wants to make sure that Violet will be safe on her horse. He loves her at this point even if he hasn’t admitted it to himself yet! Before this scene, they went up a mountain to train Pippy. They got stuck and she had to help him by getting his other prosthetic leg from his house. Of course, she did it. 


Overall then, I really enjoyed “A Photo Finish.” I liked reading about Violet. I’d already read Rhett and Cade’s books so it was nice to read their sister’s romance! I’ll reread their books too when the time comes! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heartless (Chestnut Springs #2) by Elsie Silver Review

  Hey ForeverBookers,   I’m back! I’ve finished another book!  “ Heartless”   by Elsie Silver was AMAZING!!!! I absolutely LOVED it!!! This is book 2 in the “Chestnut Springs” series and it’s about Cade, Rhett’s brother from “Flawless,” #1, and his romance with Willa, Summer’s, from book 1’s best friend.  I read Heartless for a few readathons  Reading Rivalry - Multiple POV - “ Heartless” is told from both Willa and Cade’s perspectives. Always Fully Booked Reading Challenge - Book set in Canada - I   believe Chestnut Springs is set in the Rockies.   Always Fully Booked “On the Cover” Reading Challenge - A Musical Instrument - A guitar ! Willa, our FMC plays guitar.  Reading the Rainbow challenge - pastel - the background of the  “ Heartless”   cover is pastel blue!  “ Heartless”   had EVERYTHING I love, an FMC who’s stuck in life, a wild, yet sensitive MMC, funny moments, cute scenes, spicy scenes, heartfelt ...

Her Majesty’s Royal Coven (HMRC #1) by Juno Dawson Review

Hey ForeverBookers, How are you all? Hope you’re good! I’ve just finished  “Her Majesty’s Royal Coven”  by Juno Dawson and I surprisingly really enjoyed it! I didn’t think I’d hate it but I thought it would be 3 stars, but it turns out it’s a 4 star read for me, maybe even a 4.5! It had a lot of things I like but some parts were forgettable, like the names of the lesser used characters. The plot, though was solid! I’m a character over plot person, as you’d know through reading my other reviews, but the main/most prominent character from this book, Niamh will be my favourite, I’m sure! I think that’s why I’ve rated  “Her Majesty’s Royal Coven”  so highly! 4 Stars! “Her Majesty’s Royal Coven”  tells the story of a coven of witches that need to save or at least help a young male witch who’s more than he seems. Niamh, who I’d say is the main character of the current witches has a twin sister called Ciara who has had her power stripped before the book starts! Why, yo...

Rebound (The Pentagon Book 1) by Rosemary Rey Review

Hey ForeverBookers,  How are you all doing today? I hope you’re well!  I’ve just finished rereading Rebound by Rosemary Rey and I loved it! From recollection I loved it the first time I read it as well, about 5 years ago.  5 Stars! I read this for a few readathons: For Reading Rivalry - A book I think should be turned into a movie - I’d love to see this play out on television, actually but a movie is close enough.  For Litwits - A love story - that’s the central plot of Rebound and the whole Pentagon trilogy.  Literary Love Affair - Soulmate Love - Perla and Matt are what I class as realistic soulmates. Popsugar Reading Challenge 2019 - A book by an author whose first and last names start with the same letter - Rosemary Rey.  Rebound is set in America and is about an almost 30 year old woman, Perla Mercurio and a doctor, Matthias Keene who have a very passionate affair...do they fall in love??? You’ll have to read to find ...