Skip to main content

Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli Review

Hey ForeverBookers,

How are you today? I hope you’re well! 


I’ve just finished “Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda” by Becky Albertalli and I really enjoyed it! It’s a coming out story for our MMC, Simon. He’s just a normal everyday, American teenager that talks to an unknown teenager, Blue, on his school’s online server. Nowadays, I probably wouldn’t advise talking to someone online but when this was published, in 2015, it was fiiiiine. When Simon wants to meet Blue, what happens? I’ll let you read for yourself but the book focuses on Simon’s coming out story, rather than what happens after he’s come out.


I read “Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda” for a few readathons. They were:


Reading Rivalry - Rainbow Road - “Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda” is really about Simon “coming out” and the LGBTQ symbol as I know it is the rainbow so I thought this was perfect.  


Always Fully Booked, Around The World Reading Challenge - United States - “Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda” is set in Creekwood, a fake town in Atlanta, Georgia. 


Spoilers Below…


“I spent the next week obsessing about whether or not he would contact me. And then he did.”


“Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda” is told from Simon’s perspective throughout. I enjoyed this. Simon was so unsure about a lot of things as a lot of teenagers are. His sexuality is focused on. It’s not written about in words but more alluded to because “Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda” is a YA novel. He gets bullied at first by Martin, because he wants to date Simon’s best friend Abby and he thinks Simon will get Abby’s attention for him. Does he? You’ll have to read for yourself. 


“FROM: hourtohour.notetonote@gmail.com

TO: bluegreen118@gmail.com

DATE: Oct 17 at 12:06 AM

SUBJECT: Re: when you knew

That’s a pretty sexy story, Blue. I mean, middle school is like this endless horror show. Well, maybe not endless, because it ended, but it really burns into your psyche. I don’t care who you are. Puberty is merciless.

I’m curious—have you seen him since your dad’s wedding?”


His conversations with his online corespondent, Blue is what most of the novel focuses on, though. Now, nowadays I don’t think this would be healthy because of the online predators out there. I mean, Simon could have been speaking to anyone. It was just lucky it was someone from his school! I also wouldn’t have chatted so openly about things with a stranger, so I kind of think that was unrealistic too, for a teenage boy. 


Another smaller element of “Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda” is that Simon is in the drama society at Creekwood Elementary and his class are putting on a play/musical of “Oliver Twist.” We see interludes of some of the songs/scenes throughout. Also, Simon’s parents actually play a role in “Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda.” This was refreshing to see as nowadays parents barely get a look in, in YA novels, I feel. 


Overall, “Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda” was a quick, fun, read full of mystery and entertaining conversations. Does Simon eventually work out who Blue is? Does he get his happily ever after? 


I’m excited to read book 2 in this world soon…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heartless (Chestnut Springs #2) by Elsie Silver Review

  Hey ForeverBookers,   I’m back! I’ve finished another book!  “ Heartless”   by Elsie Silver was AMAZING!!!! I absolutely LOVED it!!! This is book 2 in the “Chestnut Springs” series and it’s about Cade, Rhett’s brother from “Flawless,” #1, and his romance with Willa, Summer’s, from book 1’s best friend.  I read Heartless for a few readathons  Reading Rivalry - Multiple POV - “ Heartless” is told from both Willa and Cade’s perspectives. Always Fully Booked Reading Challenge - Book set in Canada - I   believe Chestnut Springs is set in the Rockies.   Always Fully Booked “On the Cover” Reading Challenge - A Musical Instrument - A guitar ! Willa, our FMC plays guitar.  Reading the Rainbow challenge - pastel - the background of the  “ Heartless”   cover is pastel blue!  “ Heartless”   had EVERYTHING I love, an FMC who’s stuck in life, a wild, yet sensitive MMC, funny moments, cute scenes, spicy scenes, heartfelt ...

Rebound (The Pentagon Book 1) by Rosemary Rey Review

Hey ForeverBookers,  How are you all doing today? I hope you’re well!  I’ve just finished rereading Rebound by Rosemary Rey and I loved it! From recollection I loved it the first time I read it as well, about 5 years ago.  5 Stars! I read this for a few readathons: For Reading Rivalry - A book I think should be turned into a movie - I’d love to see this play out on television, actually but a movie is close enough.  For Litwits - A love story - that’s the central plot of Rebound and the whole Pentagon trilogy.  Literary Love Affair - Soulmate Love - Perla and Matt are what I class as realistic soulmates. Popsugar Reading Challenge 2019 - A book by an author whose first and last names start with the same letter - Rosemary Rey.  Rebound is set in America and is about an almost 30 year old woman, Perla Mercurio and a doctor, Matthias Keene who have a very passionate affair...do they fall in love??? You’ll have to read to find ...

Kiss Of The Basilisk (#1 Split and Swallow) by Lindsay Straube Review

  Hey ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished my favourite book of the year, thus far.  “Kiss Of The Basilisk”  by Lindsay Straube   is an   erotic masterpiece in my eyes! It brings together everything I love in a book…forbidden romance, well written erotic scenes, it was lengthy and the characters had depth. The only thing that slightly annoyed me was the FMC’s name, Tem. I liked her full name Temperance a lot more. “Kiss Of The Basilisk”  starts with our main character, Tem following a tradition of sorts. She’s to go to be trained to have sex with the prince by a basilisk. She only goes and falls in love with the basilisk she chooses! He loves her too. What does this mean for her relationship with the prince? You’ll have to read for yourself! There were soooooo many twists and turns in  “Kiss Of The Basilisk”  that I didn’t see coming so wasn’t sure where we would end up with our characters!  I kind of wished there was a pregnancy for Tem...