Skip to main content

A Court Of Thorns And Roses (ACOTAR book 1) by Sarah J Mass Review

A good book! It had a few slower places and it wasn't all romance, which I expected because of the Beauty and the Beast retelling part. It's a new adult story although not overtly so in this first book.

There was enough romance to keep me hooked however. 

Some minor spoilers below...

Feyrah starts out the story hunting. The first chapter is told entirely in prose, which is different as there's normally speech involved as well. This helped me get an idea of the setting and of just what Feyrah was doing and feeling. 

Tamlin, the main make character isn't introduced for a few chapters, which was also surprising. We got to know Feyrah's life before Tamlin before he came into the story. This was quite unique, for me at least as with most books I read both the female and male leads get either introduced together or a just few chapters apart. In ACOTAR it took me ages to get to where Tamlin entered the story. This gave Feyrah more character development but it also didn't give the characters as long to develop their relationship. 

We learn that Feyrah has had a bad life up until the point in the book because she's lost so much. She was hunting to get food on her family's table because they couldn't afford it. Tamlin enters the story to get redemption from Feyrah for doing something forbidden in his lands. Tamlin is a faerie and is considered high fae we later learn. 

Tamlin takes Feyrah away from all she has known to his lands in the Spring Court where all the faeries where masks as they can't be without them. There she learns to stick up for herself among the faeries. She also falls in love with her captor. This isn't Stockholm syndrome however as Tamlin does save her a few times from evil creatures within the forest. On a faerie celebration night that Feyrah is forbidden to go to she meets a stranger who is later revealed to have a pivotal role in the plot. This character comes to the Spring Court and although Tamlin tries to hide Feyrah he's not able to. 

Tamlin and the this other character have a fight as Feyrah shouldn't be among fae or on their lands. Tamlin thought he could protect Feyrah from everything within his realm but he realises that he can't. This series is New Adult as I said above so the characters show what they feel towards each other at this point. I found this bittersweet as I knew the characters would be separated for a while after this part. 

The next day Tamlin sends Feyrah away even though he doesn't want to. Before she leaves he tells her that he loves her. She doesn't say it back because she doesn't really understand why she's being forced to leave. 

Back in the human lands, south of the faerie border Feyrah is sent to her family who have been looked after by Tamlin's money while she's been away. They've moved from their hovel of a home into a mansion. Feyrah doesn't really like this change at first. Feyrah misses Tamlin and life in the faerie realm. Her sister, Nesta (who she doesn't really get on with at the beginning of the book) sends her back to Tamlin as she can see that her heart isn't fully with her family. Part of it remains with Tamlin. 

When she gets back to the Faerie realm, Feyrah is shocked not to find a faerie in the Spring Court. She finds the building where she was staying all in shreds as if a fight or struggle has happened. Then she does find her faerie servant (the one who was helping her wash and dress while she was there). She reveals the reason why Feyrah was really taken against her will, at first to the spring court.

Feyrah then travels to a new setting where a lot of events occur. At this new setting Feyrah faces an evil force who put the faeries in the situation their in with the masks. She must succeed in 3 different tasks to get out with her lover (Tamlin) and the rest of the court. Does she succeed or does she fail?

I don't want to spoil anything more so I won't write what happens but I really enjoyed this book. It took me a little while to get through because I was busy doing things other than reading :O but I didn't want it to end, truthfully. I loved the relationship that developed between Feyrah and Tamlin the most. I can't wait to see how this continues in the next books in the trilogy...I therefore give this book 4 stars as it had lots of good things. I just wish that there was more of a relationship between the 2 lead characters. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g