Skip to main content

City Of Glass (The Mortal Instruments Book 3) Review

Hi ForeverBookers, 

I loved City Of Glass!! It has lots of action, comedy, a bit of romance and a lot of mystery. I mean, I finished the book in 3 days - that's how good it is! 

As this is the 3rd book in a series, don't read below as there will be SPOILERS! 

What starts off in the normal human city of New York changes suddenly when the main characters are thrust into the Shadowhunter world of Alicante to save Clary's mother because of a demon invasion. The majority of the book is set in Alicante as well. I enjoyed this because I always enjoy reading about different worlds that authors create. Alicante isn't much different to other cities. It just has magical towers that keep demons off the street unlike those in New York for example. 

Jace wants to stop Clary from going to Alicante because he doesn't want to put her in danger. She defies this though, and creates her own portal, as she created a rune in the previous book, to get through. This is dangerous, however because she swallows some of the lake water and that's poisonous if not treated straight away. She goes through the portal with Luke though so he helps her find someone who can help make her better. I like it when authors take risks with their characters. Cassandra Clare isn't afraid to do this. 

Upon waking from the illness Clary seeks Jace out. She finds him, after asking lots of people where he's staying at the Lightwoods house. Also staying with the Lightwoods is Sebastian, a character who seems nice at first but there's something about him that Clary just doesn't trust. Jace tells Clary to go back to New York as he still doesn't think it's safe enough in Alicante. Although Clary finds this annoying as the reader we see it as a caring and protective gesture.

However, Clary doesn't go back to the earth plain. Instead she goes in search of a warlock to help save her mother. Sebastian persuades her to let him go with her. This was the first moment that I was suspicious of Sebastian. They find Magnus Bane as the warlock they were originally looking for is dead. He tells Clary what to look for and where to find it, without letting Sebastian know. This object could be what saves Alicante and all the Shadowhunters and Downworlders from Valentine - the evil mastermind of this series. This part was pretty critical to the story as well because without it, the plot would have fallen apart. 

Jace and Clary later go to find the item that Magnus said was needed. Although they do find it, they also discover secrets about who they are as well as history of those they care about. 

While all of this is going on there's a more political plot as well. This involves Simon who as a vampire, isn't really meant to be in Alicante. I enjoyed reading about this because we got to see another side to the plot. Not just the action for going after Valentine. Although it does all tie together in the end.

There are wars that kill off family members, mysteries to solve, as well as so much more including ultimately a choice for both Clary and Jace to make.

This was an awesome read. I don't want to put any more of what happens because I don't want to spoil the story at all but other important things DO happen to the characters. If you couldn't guess, I'm giving this book 5 out of 5 stars!!! Please read The Mortal Instruments! The books are amazing! I'm going to start reading City Of Fallen Angels soon...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g