Skip to main content

Beneath A Burning Sky by Jenny Ashcroft Review.

Hi ForeverBookers, 

I've just finished another great NetGalley arc called Beneath A Burning Sky by Jenny Ashcroft. It's now available to buy/download too!

This is a part of my Summer Reads TBR. It coincides with the Summer Flings Reading Challenge that's happening on Facebook at the moment too! This book marks off the OTP/Star Crossed Lovers challenge. 

NOTE: If you're sensitive to people disappearing this might not be the book for you!

Beneath The Burning Skies in a historical, standalone novel that tells the stories of a few different characters, who live in Alexandria, Egypt. Two of these characters, Olivia and Clara are the main characters, I feel. The bulk of the story centres around what's going on with them. Both Olivia and Clara are English as are a few other characters too. All of the characters have a main part to play in the story, I feel which is nice. 

4 Stars! 

Spoilers below...

What most of this book is is a who done it? plot line, along with a few romantic parts too. Olivia and Clara go out to eat, in Alexandria one afternoon but Clara gets captured, and we assume killed. The beginning of the book tells of a capture of a character. We don't know who this is there, though. 

The bits of the book that I enjoyed the most were the romantic parts. Olivia, who the story rotates around is abused by her husband. She realises she loves another character that she's known for a long time, Edward. This could potentially be classed as instant love but they've known each other for a long time. They just haven't realised their feelings before now. It takes most of the book for either one to say that they love the other one too. We just see it in the way they think of each other. The sex isn't graphically written about so anyone could potentially pick this up and enjoy it.

Other characters that have a big role are an Egyptian girl called Nailea, her uncle, aunt and mother, Olivia's and Clara's grandmother, who's horrible to both girls but particularly to Olivia as well as Clara's capturer as well. I'm not going to say just who the capturer is as that would totally give away the story but it was a surprise to me.

What did I like about Beneath A Burning Sky? 
I loved the romance. I wish there had been more but alas, there wasn't. 

I liked how there were good and evil characters and how we knew which was which throughout. 

I liked the mystery surrounding the disappearance of Clara and how we didn't know what had happened to her right up until the end.  

What didn't I like about Beneath A Burning Sky? 
I didn't like the politics surrounding one of the storylines so much. I skimmed over some of those bits. 

I didn't like how much the story focused on Nailea. I would have liked more focus given to Olivia's story as I felt like she was the main female character. 

I don't like how this story is just a standalone. I feel that the story could continue following Olivia and her life. 

Overall, I really enjoyed Beneath A Burning Sky. It was a good mystery novel. I'm giving it 4 Stars because it was a little slow at points but if you're a fan of romance/mystery/suspense/books set in different places, then pick this up! 

Stand by for my next review, coming soon! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fifth Letter by Nicola Moriarty Review.

Hi ForeverBookers, a belated Happy New Year to you all! I hope you all had a great Christmas as well. The Fifth Letter was my first read of 2017, and I enjoyed it. It wasn't all that I thought it would be but it still held my attention.

I got The Fifth Letter as a NetGalley arc so thank you to NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read it.


The Fifth Letter is published on January 24th 2017 but it's is very much an ADULT read! It's is about 4 girls, Joni, Deb, Trina and Eden who were friends at school. They go away to a house for a get together trip in their 30's. The main part of the story is set while the girls are in their 30's. One of them has the idea for them each to write a secret - something they've never told anyone else before but it's kept confidential. Then each one of the girls will read a random secret, and try to work out who it belongs to.

It's  set in Australia, which is a little different as most books I read are set in the USA/th…

The Bear And The Nightingale by Katherine Arden Review

Hi ForeverBookers,

I got The Bear And The Nightingale for review from NetGalley but I only gave it 1.5 stars (2 on Goodreads).

While I enjoyed certain elements of The Bear And The Nightingale, I found a lot of it to be quite confusing. The only thing that kept me reading was Vasya and her untoward behaviour to others as well as her relationships towards the end. I just skipped over the religious stuff as that didn't interest me in the slightest. The folkloric elements, while complex were again a little confusing.
This is a book to be read around Halloween/Winter I think as some of the elements are rather creepy. Because of these creepy elements I'd say this is an ADULT novel as well. It's also set in a cold Russia. 
I don't want to write spoilers at all in this review because I didn't understand all of the elements as I've said above and so there's every chance that I could get it wrong.
I'd give this book a 1.5 stars (2 on Goodreads) because I didn…

The Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee

Hi ForeverBookers, 
I've just finished The Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee and I thought is was a GREAT start to a series! I got an E-arc from NetGalley. The release date is 30th August 2016.
At first I thought it was going to be a dystopian novel but I hadn't read that it was a cross between Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars set in the future so if I'd have read that I would have gone into it knowing what it was about more. It certainly starts off as more Gossip Girl and goes to Pretty Little Liars as you go through.

I don't like dystopian so that's why I thought I wouldn't like it. When it started it gave me dystopian vibes as well. It became more of a contemporary set in the future as it went along. 
You're reading from 5 different perspectives, which is quite unique in YA/NA reads. These different perspectives range from the weak (at the bottom of the tower, to the rich (at the top of the tower). 
There are scenes of a sexual nature (although nothing i…