Skip to main content

Home by Amanda Berriman Review

Hey ForeverBookers, 

I’ve just finished “Home” by Amanda Berriman and I think, it’s possibly the cutest book I think I’ve ever read! 

“Home” is a contemporary read that tells the story of Jesika, a 4 year old child and her family’s struggles with everyday life. They’re at the bottom end of the poverty spectrum so they don’t have very much. “Home” is really a story about relying on others when you’re feeling low and in need of support. 

Thanks to NetGalley for giving me the chance to read Home! I think, I’ve possibly found my favourite standalone novel 🙂.

I really enjoyed reading from Jesika’s perspective. I loved all of the words that she couldn’t quite get right, like “hospipal” (meaning hospital), "cept" (meaning except), "apposed" (meaning supposed) for example, and reading about or her “big hurty” whenever she was scared what would happen to herself or someone she cared about. Jesika is definitely an unreliable narrator because she’s only 4 years old, and is often unsure of events in the novel. Jesika explains everything in a long winded, roundabout way, which is reminiscent of a child, I think. That’s why I’m using it for the last Popsugar Challenge, “Your favourite prompt from the 2015, 2016, 2017 POPSUGAR reading challenges” which is, “A book with an unreliable narrator”, as Jesika is very much this, as I’ve explained above.

Home is also set in England so it was nice to see the place where I live reflected in a book. 

Although lots of this book is light, in that it’s told from a 4 year old’s perspective, there is a dark undertone of child abuse, too. We don’t see any of the abuse but it’s still there. Therefore, if you’re sensitive to the topic of abuse, child abuse in particular, then maybe stay away from reading this. 

SPOILERS BELOW...

“She pulls out a red zippy top and I hope it’s the one with the strawberry on it cos I like that one the best but I can’t see cos she tucks in under her arm and then she says, “Arms up” and she pulls the green jumper over my head and puts it on the back of Toby’s buggy and then crouches down and holds out the red zippy top so I can push my arms in and I’m looking down to see if it’s the strawberry top and she zips me up fast and fast. 
OW! HOT-STINGY-OW! OW! OW!”

This is a significant part of the novel because it demonstrates Jesika’s character at the beginning of the story. Jesika has come to preschool without the right tshirt on. It’s a Rainbow day and Jesika has come without any “red” on. Jesika’s favourite colour is green so she came with a green outfit on, instead. All Jesika is concerned about though, is whether or not her Mummy has bought the red strawberry t-shirt. When she tries to look, Tina, her Mummy pulls the zip up too fast, and accidentally knocks her chin. Jesika, at 4 years old blames her Mummy for hurting her. This was well written. As someone who has worked with little children, I can say that the author captured the character of them well. This happens before the twist in the story.

When Paige, another young girl of Jesika’s age is introduced, Jesika gets a friend. 

“I run to the house corner and she’s still there squeezed right under the table cept now she’s lying down on the cushion that’s apposed to be on the play bed and she’s got the blanket that I tucked baby in and it’s covering her all up, cept her face, and she’s sucking her thumb, and she’s got her eyes closed and I think she might actually be asleep which is very strange cos preschool’s not a sleeping place, it’s a playing place.”

This is the first time Jesika sees the new girl, Paige. She doesn’t understand why Paige is sleeping at preschool. She thinks she should be playing like everyone else. What Jesika doesn’t understand is that Paige is new so she doesn’t have any friends yet and she doesn’t know the routine at the preschool. Again, as someone who has worked with little children, I know that they are all different. What one needs, isn’t necessarily what another needs. 

Jesika’s Mummy and little brother have to go into hospital part way in “Home”. This means that Jesika has to go and be looked after by strangers. She is obviously scared by this as she’s only ever known her mummy to look after her.  

Jesika mentions her father (Daddy) and Bab Bab (grandmother) a little bit, throughout the book but her daddy lives in Poland, and her Bab Bab died before the novel takes place, so we never actually see them. “I know Poland. My Daddy went to live there” shows just how aware Jesika is, when her mum and brother are in the hospital, and she’s being looked after by a nurse called Paulina, who’s from Poland, as well. 

When the topic of abuse comes in to the story, it turns a little darker. We see Jesika worry about Paige, not quite understanding what is wrong but just knowing that something is. Ryan is Paige’s uncle. One night, at a sleepover where Ryan is looking after both her and Paige, during bath time, Jesika hears scary noises. She isn’t sure what these are to begin with, just that they don’t sound good. Ryan tells Jesika not to tell anyone what she heard, otherwise bad things will happen to her. This obviously scares Jesika to the point where she doesn’t tell anyone. Does Jesika tell the truth in the end, though? You’ll have to read to find out.
Also, what happens about Jesika’s living situation, with her family? Does she get fostered/adopted or do her mummy and brother get better? Does she move house to somewhere safer? You’ll again have to read to find out! 

What did I like about “Home”? 

I loved reading from Jesika’s perspective. She’s such a funny, little character. Even though, a lot of the events of “Home” are really serious, reading about them from Jesika’s perspective made them seem fun and light hearted. 

I loved the friendship aspect “Home” had. Jesika tried to help Paige lots, throughout the book. This makes her an incredibly brave protagonist. For example, when she chooses what to do about Ryan’s lies, especially considering how young she is. 

I loved how dramatic Jesika was! She was always adding her own commentary in her head to what adults were discussing. These were often really funny! I love first person stories anyway, but reading Jesika’s perspective was hilarious!  

I loved Jesika’s use of language in “Home”. It was really entertaining and cute to read words in her way. Hospipal instead of hospital, for example. The author clearly did some research about how little ones speak. 

I liked how there were actually parents in “Home”. In sooo many books we see children without their parents. That’s not the case, here, as Jesika’s mother is there, throughout.

What didn’t I like about “Home”? 

I didn’t really see much setting description, apart from Jesika’s run down home. This is a contemporary novel, told from a child’s perspective so that might have been why the setting descriptions were a little lack lustre but it would have been nice to be able to picture everywhere in the book, clearly. This really does not detract from the story in any way, though! 

Overall then, I LOVED “Home”! That’s why I’m giving it...5 Stars!!! I can definitely see it being on my favourites list at the end of the year! 

Does “Home” sound like something you’d enjoy? Have you already read it? What did you think if you have? Will you be picking it up based on this review?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Thorns And Roses (ACOTAR #1) by Sarah J Maas Review

  Hi ForeverBookers,   This review is coming a couple of days late because I’ve just had my COVID vaccine and I had to recover, anyway, I’ve just finished “A Court Of Thorns And Roses” or “ACOTAR” as it’s commonly referred to, by Sarah J Maas. It was a reread but I’m VERY glad that I did reread it. I’m going to try and reread all the books throughout this year to get ready for the now newly released “A Court Of Silver Flames,” which I’ll hopefully read at the beginning of next year (I already own it!) Anyway, I absolutely LOVED “ACOTAR” even more so, perhaps, than my other times reading it. I think it’s because I know what happens in the rest of the first trilogy. I already have reviews up for the other books, except, of course, “A Court Of Silver Flames.” I might redo or add to the “ A Court Of Mist And Fury” review. 5 Stars!  The readathons I read “ACOTAR” for were: The Cardcaptor-a-thon - The Light - Read a book with a light and/or bright cover - I class the red cove

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g