Skip to main content

Alice In The Country Of Hearts Vol 1 & 2 by QuinRose MANGA Review...

Hi ForeverBookers, 

How are you doing? I’ve just finished “Alice In The Country Of Hearts,” a manga that I really enjoyed. 

4 Stars! 

I read this for a few readathons! 

The Cardcaptor-a-thon - The Through - A book I didn't know the premise of before reading...I knew “Alice In The Country Of Hearts” was a retelling of “Alice In Wonderland,” however there are many differences that I didn't know, some of which I go into below...(#28)

Reading Rivalry (RR) - Illustrated Cover - It's a manga so the cover is illustrated, just as the insides are.

Fiction Feud Society (FFS) - Dark - This is a dark retelling of “Alice In Wonderland.” I say why I think this below...

The art style is very shoujo-esque, which I like, the story however is more shounen, I’d say.

Spoilers Below...

This was good, surprisingly good actually. When I started it, I didn’t know what to think but as I progressed through and began to know the characters, I ended up feeling for them. 

This is basically a mafia story, set in a fantasy world—a world you’ll already sort of know if you’re at all familiar with “Alice In Wonderland.” There are differences of course between this manga version and Carroll’s original Wonderland, like the guns and an amusement park but the main characters from the original tale are still present — Alice, the White Rabbit, who’s called Peter, and the Cheshire Cat or a take on him anyway, in the form of Boris in this manga, specifically. Dee and Dum make an appearance too, as well as the Queen of Hearts, but she’s not really that present in this volume! I think she will be more so in the sequels.

It’s a character driven story, more than a plot driven story, I’d say. Yes, there is a plot but the characters are what pull you in. At least they did for me. There were some funny moments as well as the serious moments. “Alice...please confess your love for me soon...this teasing of yours is driving me mad,” is what the White Rabbit character of Peter says to Alice. They’ve only known each other what feels like a few hours at this point! 

We follow Alice, an ordinary girl as she gets pulled into Wonderland by Peter, the White Rabbit character. She doesn’t want to be in Wonderland of course. She wants to be back home with her sister, like in the original tale. When she learns of the differences between that version of Wonderland and her home, she’s shocked. Also every male character seems to be in love with Alice, which I think is a more modern take on the original story. 

There’s a dark mystery at the heart of “Alice In The Country Of Hearts,” literally! It surrounds clocks. This is the part that's changed from the original that I didn't know about before I started reading the manga. I don’t want to spoil it completely because if I do it gives the plot away but it’s good! “When the inhabitants of this world “die,” only a clock remains. Ace and those afterimages recover recover the clocks and gather them here,” is what a character says to Alice to help her understand how the world of Wonderland is different from her own. The afterimages are people that have died and are waiting to be put back into bodies, which a character has the job of doing. Ace is the helper of the character that I don’t want to name, due to spoilers.

You’re not meant to be sure of ANY character, I don’t think. It was exciting turning the pages to see what each character would do next! I’ll say the ending was shocking...you literally can’t trust ANYONE in “Alice In The Country Of Hearts!”

I'm giving volume 1 Four Stars because a few things didn't quite make sense to me. This might change when I read the sequel, which I’m now really excited to get my hands on and read!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #5) by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Brighid's Quest (Partholon Series #5 Review) by PC Cast Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  This book was good.  It took me about 150 pages to really get in to unfourtunately, and even then I really only enjoyed the last half of the book.  This tells more the story of centaur huntress Brighid, although we do see others stories' within this book as well.  Spoilers below! The first 100 or so pages have nothing to really do with the overall plot. It's just Brighid and Cuchulainn (Cu) going to find the femorians that killed Brenna, Cu's lost love. Cu is hell bent on redemption at first but when he gets to know the "new femorians" he doesn't want to hurt them as most of them are only children without parents. He wants to bring them back to find their own redemption at Macallan Castle with Clan Macallan. The new femorians are given the power of restoration by the Goddess Epona. This kind of does come into play right at the end of the novel but I didn't think we needed everything the author gave us to understand what Cu and Brighid w