Skip to main content

Shadow Of Night (Book 2 of The All Souls series) by Deborah Harkness Review


Hi ForeverBookers,


How are you all today? I hope you’re well!


Yesterday, I finished reading “Shadow Of Night,” the second book in my favourite series EVER, “The All Souls series” by Deborah Harkness. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!!! Every time I’ve read this book, and I’ve now read it thirteen times, no joke, there’s been something separating me from the story. However, this time that wasn’t holding me back. I enjoyed every second of it. I hope I enjoy the TV show as much, when I watch that after finishing my rewatch of season 1. 


* I read this for my readathon, the Cardcaptor-a-thon: The Create Card - A card in the form of a book where whatever you write/draw comes to life - Read a book with your favourite theme - for me my favourite theme in a book is where the main female character falls pregnant. I think it’s because I desperately want children one day...a main character falls pregnant in “Shadow Of Night!”


* I was reading this for other readathons too but I read it over a few months so the prompts changed per month!


At the beginning of “Shadow Of Night” Diana and Matthew timewalk or travel back in time—something Diana learns she can do in “A Discovery Of Witches”—to 1590, where they need to find answers as to where Ashmole 782, the elusive manuscript is, in its full, complete form. In the 21st century, at the beginning of “A Discovery Of Witches” Diana found Ashmole 782 broken or incomplete. Can they find it in 1590? Also, they need to try and find Diana a teacher to help her learn how to use her magic. They meet new people, some of which Matthew knew from his time there before, as he’s a vampire who lived through the events of 1590. There are people who actually existed in history brought into the story too, such as Christopher Marlowe or as he’s better known here, Kit, and Walter Raleigh. Kit is a demon obsessed with Matthew. To what point does his obsession run? You’ll need to read to find out! The book does primarily focus on Diana and Matthew in 1590 but we see a little of the other 21st century characters too, like Sarah, Em, Ysabeau, Marcus and a new character, Phoebe very briefly. What happens to them? You’ll need to read to find out! 


Don’t read this review unless you’ve read the BOTH the first book, “A Discovery Of Witches” and “Shadow Of Night” as there are spoilers below for both books!


In 1590, we meet Philippe, Matthew’s vampire father. Ysabeau made Matthew a vampire but she was in love with and married to Philippe, hence why Philippe is Matthew’s vampire father. I loved reading the parts with Philippe because it brought family into the novel, and Matthew’s place of belonging. Matthew knows who he is around Philippe and he isn’t lost, as could be said for other places in the novel. He knows what he’s meant to do at Sept-Tours. 


“Dieu. This is the last place on earth I imagined finding myself.” Matthew blinked, slowly, as if he expected the château to disappear before his eyes.

I reached over and rested my hand on his forearm. “Even now you have a choice. We can turn back.” Pierre looked at me with pity, and Matthew gave me a rueful smile.

“You don’t know my father.”


This is what Matthew thinks before he gets to Sept-Tours with Diana in 1590. He doesn’t want to have to go but his vampire nephew, Gallowglass turns up in 1590’s London, where Diana timewalked to and said that his father, Philippe was expecting his presence. Matthew doesn’t know if he can bare to see Philippe again, as he blames himself for his father’s death. Diana is telling Matthew that he has a choice and that he doesn’t need to prove anything to her. She’ll love him, no matter what. I loved that part!


“The man was used to being obeyed, at once and without question.”


This is Diana’s first impression of Philippe. He’s very much how I picture a leader in 1590, very strict and to the point. He even makes Diana jump before this. As Diana gets to know Philippe however, she sees him as a good man, who was just dealt rough cards. You can tell that Baldwin, Matthew’s brother in “A Discovery Of Witches,” is Philippe’s son as they have the same personality, strict and unwavering.


“Everyone here calls me either ‘sire’ or ‘Father.’ Which would you prefer?” Philippe’s question was silky and dangerous.

“Just call him Philippe,” Matthew rumbled. “He goes by many other titles, but those that fit him best would blister your tongue.”


Philippe is being serious but Matthew, clearly fed up of waiting on Philippe to peruse Diana, is wanting to get her away from his father’s scrutiny. He doesn’t think it’s fair how he’s examining her. I thought Matthew’s response, “Just call him Philippe,” was funny. Matthew doesn’t like how Philippe treats Diana like a “glorified housekeeper” to begin with. She’s family, so she should be treated like family, he feels. Philippe won’t let Diana and Matthew sleep together when they arrive at Sept-Tours, even though they are husband and wife. By 1590 standards they’re both single.


“If you need to feed and won’t take blood from a

stranger, then. I want you to take mine,” 


is what Diana says when Philippe doesn’t think Matthew is as strong as he should be. Does he take her blood? You’ll have to read to find out...


Philippe likes to bate Matthew. When Matthew says that Diana is his, Philippe’s response is “Not yet,” Philippe said, descending the stairs with a regretful shake of his head. “Maybe not ever,” Of course, Philippe means sexually. Matthew means in every aspect. This worry is taken away after their 1590’s wedding, when Diana and Matthew do make love to each other. 


“He urged me toward a harder, faster rhythm. But I kept my movements slow and steady, reveling in the way our bodies fit. Matthew was a cool presence at my core, a delicious source of friction that heated my blood. I was staring deep into his eyes when he climaxed, and the raw vulnerability there sent me hurtling after him. I collapsed onto his torso, and when I moved to climb off, his arms tightened around me.

“Stay there,” he whispered.

I did stay, until Matthew woke me hours later. He made love to me again in the quiet before the dawn and held me as I underwent the metamorphosis from fire to water to air and returned once more to dreams.”


The love scenes were tastefully written, I thought. Diana goes through a transformation when they make love both mentally and physically.


“It took forever. Philippe was broken, lost, and frightened, but his heart was still fierce. His last thoughts were of Ysabeau. They were the only memories that were still whole, still his.”

“It’s all right,” I murmured again and again, holding him tightly until finally his limbs began to quiet.

“You asked me who I am at the Old Lodge. I’m a killer, Diana. I’ve killed thousands,” Matthew said eventually, his voice muffled. “But I never had to look any of them in the face again. Ysabeau cannot look at me without remembering my father’s death. Now I have to face you, too.” 


This happens before the wedding. It’s when Matthew confesses his “darkest sin” as a vampire to Diana, that he killed his father. Matthew drank every last bit of blood from him to ease his pain. He did it as an act of love to his father. He’s scared that his father won’t accept this and will hate him, however.


“I forgive you,” his father repeated, throwing his arms around his son in a fierce embrace. “I forgive you.”

Matthew shuddered once, his body shaking from head to foot, then went limp as though some evil spirit had fled. “Je suis désolé,” he whispered, the words slurred with emotion. “So sorry.”

“And I have forgiven you. Now you must put it behind you.” Philippe released his son and looked at me. “Come to him, Diana, but move carefully. He is still not himself.”

I ignored Philippe and went to Matthew in a rush. He took me into his arms and breathed in my scent as if it had the power to sustain him.”


Philippe lets Matthew know that he forgives him for helping him to die. I thought this was beautifully written, with lots of emotion from all of the characters. I could really feel what was happening in this scene. Diana, of course only cares that Matthew is okay, so rushes to his side, even with Philippe’s warning. 


Philippe goes so far as to make Diana his blood-sworn daughter so she’s always protected. This helps her later in the novel. “...With this mark you are reborn, my blood-sworn daughter and forever a member of my family.” This is when Philippe fully accepts Diana as more than just Matthew’s lover, but his wife essentially, now and forevermore.


      There are threats, of course for Diana throughout the events of Shadow Of Night, one of these is Champier, a witch that Philippe sends for to help Diana to learn her magic, one of the reasons she came to 1590! Champier doesn’t like Diana from the moment he sees her. 


“Madame Roydon is keeping something from me—and from you, too, I believe. I must report it to the Congregation. It is my duty, sieur.” Champier looked expectantly at Philippe.”


This is Champier threatening Diana. Does he get the chance to call the Congregation? You’ll need to read to find out. Another threat is Father Hubbard? What role does he play in Shadow Of Night? You’ll need to read to find out!


Philippe is only present in I’d say a third of the book. The rest is about Diana learning to use her magic through the Garlickhythe coven, as well as just learning to function in the 1500’s. She does find a trustworthy teacher or mentor in Goody Alsop, who she finds out she’s indeed a weaver. Weavers are special types of witches who can create spells.


“So I was right, then,” Susanna said, relieved.

“Yes, child. Diana is indeed a weaver.” Goody Alsop’s words reverberated in the room, potent as any spell.

“What’s that?” I whispered.

“There is much we don’t understand about our present situation, Goody Alsop.” Matthew took my hand. “Perhaps you should treat us both like Jeffrey and explain it as you would to a child.’

“Diana is a maker of spells,” Goody Alsop said. “We weavers are rare creatures. That is why the Goddess sent you to me.”

“No, Goody Alsop, you are mistaken,” I protested with a shake of my head. “I’m terrible with spells. My aunt Sarah has great skill, but not even she has been able to teach me the craft of the witch.”

“Of course you cannot perform the spells of other witches. You must devise your own.” Goody Alsop’s pronoucement went against everything I’d been taught. I looked at her in amazement.

Witches learn spells. We don’t invent them.”


Here, Diana is learning that she’s something she’s never heard of before, a weaver, like her father, Stephen was before her.  Diana is sure that witches don’t invent spells, that they only learn them. However, that is why she can’t perform other’s spells, because she needs to create her own. Diana also learns she has a familiar, Corra, a firedrake that literally sits within her. Diana meets her father in the last pages of the book. She can’t believe she actually gets to spend time with him.


“Don’t tell me you’re the kind of academics who can’t tell the difference between their life and their job.” He flung up his hands as if warding off the plague. “I refuse to believe that my daughter could be one of them.” This is Stephen’s reaction to when Diana tells him that she and Matthew will just stay in on Midsummer Eve. He wants to make sure Diana and Matthew have fun as well as do the serious things they’ve come to 1590 to accomplish. 


Susanna is the aunt of Annie, a child that Diana comes to care for. There’s Jack as well, a little tearaway to begin with but he learns through Diana and Matthew to be a good lad. Jack kind of reminded me a little of Oliver Twist in that he’s mischievous but learns through people around him to be good. Susanna is also a member of a coven of witches that Diana joins. Goody Alsop is the head of this coven, the Garlickhythe coven. 


Diana and Matthew have a few personal issues to deal with in Shadow Of Night. One of those is pertaining to a miscarriage. Diana learnt in “A Discovery Of Witches” that she could theoretically conceive Matthew’s child. Wearhs or vampires cannot procreate the normal way with warmbloods. However, because she’s a weaver, Diana can get pregnant by Matthew. 


“He stared down at me, shook his head, and gave me a boyish grin. “We made a child,” he said dumbfounded.

“We did,” I agreed with an answering smile.”


Matthew is over the moon with the news that Diana will have his baby, as is she. What he doesn’t know is that their happiness will be taken away when Diana miscarries. Diana at first wonders if this is the Goddess’s payment for saving Matthew in A Discovery Of Witches. “You gave your life to me, Diana Bishop. It is now time to make use of it,” is what the Goddess says to this, meaning that the Goddess didn’t trade Diana’s child’s life for her husband’s. This is honestly still a mystery to me...why did Diana lose her first child? Was it down to stress, or a magical reason? I don’t know if I’ll ever have the answer, but I’m okay with that, as I like a little to be left to the imagination when I read paranormal/fantasy books.


Another significant part of the story is when Diana and Matthew go to Prague to try and pinpoint Ashmole 782. In Prague they visit the Court of Emperor Rudolph because he apparently knows who has the book? Does he? You’ll need to read to find out! Whilst in Prague they reconnect after a hard few months. 


“He wrapped me in a bear hug.

“Keep the other Matthew safe, so he can find me one day,” I whispered in his ear, my eyes scrunched tight.”


This is Gallowglass’s goodbye to Diana. Gallowglass is a present character throughout. He’s Matthew’s vampire nephew. To be honest, I didn’t really like him in any of my reads of Shadow Of Night before but this time I didn’t hate him as much. I thought he tried to encroach on Diana before and although I still feel that, I understand why. He’s just trying to protect Diana, as Matthew is. Diana is saying goodbye to Gallowglass in the above quote. She wants to make sure that he looks after 15th Century Matthew so that he can find Diana one day.


Lastly, I’ll just sum up Kit Marlowe as he has a significant role in Shadow Of Night. Kit is definitely more on the bad side than the good, all things considered. He’s very jealous of Diana because he loves Matthew and spends the whole book trying to prove that he is the one Matthew should choose. In 1590, two men in love was quite common.  None of today’s prejudices were thrown on a gay couple. It was for want of a better word, normal. Of course, 20th century Matthew will only ever choose Diana but Kit doesn’t understand that and feels upset that he suddenly doesn’t seem good enough for his old pal or most loved one from his point of view. Before Matthew and Diana came to 1590, the old Matthew of 1590 was in Kit’s life. Now that the 21st century version of Matthew has turned up who has very different ideals, Kit feels put out. Especially when he learns of Diana’s pregnancy. Kit Marlowe is based on the real Christopher Marlowe, whom I studied a little of. I didn’t know he was a jealous man from my studies, however. 


“The young man’s scorn was evident, his jealousy better hidden. Marlowe was indeed in love with my husband. I had suspected it back in Madison when my fingers had travelled over his inscription in Matthew’s copy of Doctor Faustus.” 


Diana knew when she was in New York that Kit ‘loved’ Matthew in his own, very obsessive, unhealthy way. This is evident within the very first pages of “Shadow Of Night.” At the end of the book there is a showdown between Diana, Kit and another character that I don’t want to spoil. They all know and want Matthew for their own reasons...who gets him? You’ll need to read to find out and see what happens to those that don’t get him too.

There are other less significant parts to Shadow Of Night but I think I’ve covered a lot of the most important points above.


All in all then, I LOVED this reread VERY much. I, actually think that making notes and thinking about the events in a critical way helped me to love it more, as I could see why the characters did what they did. I HIGHLY recommend this series! It will always be my favourite.


I’m going to be starting my reread of A Court Of Thorns And Roses by Sarah J Maas next. I probably won’t write a review because I already have one, although I don’t believe it has quotes in it. I might add some to it, we’ll see...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #5) by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Brighid's Quest (Partholon Series #5 Review) by PC Cast Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  This book was good.  It took me about 150 pages to really get in to unfourtunately, and even then I really only enjoyed the last half of the book.  This tells more the story of centaur huntress Brighid, although we do see others stories' within this book as well.  Spoilers below! The first 100 or so pages have nothing to really do with the overall plot. It's just Brighid and Cuchulainn (Cu) going to find the femorians that killed Brenna, Cu's lost love. Cu is hell bent on redemption at first but when he gets to know the "new femorians" he doesn't want to hurt them as most of them are only children without parents. He wants to bring them back to find their own redemption at Macallan Castle with Clan Macallan. The new femorians are given the power of restoration by the Goddess Epona. This kind of does come into play right at the end of the novel but I didn't think we needed everything the author gave us to understand what Cu and Brighid w