Skip to main content

An Enchantment Of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson Review

Hey ForeverBookers, 

How are you doing today? I hope you’re all well and that you had a great Christmas! I’m sorry you haven’t heard from me since November. I had a really busy December! Anyway, I’ll post my favourite books of 2023 next, probably in a few days! 


I have just finished reading my first book of 2024, though. It was…“An Enchantment Of Ravens” by Margaret Rogerson. I enjoyed it, although I do think it would have been better as a solely adult book. I thought making it YA made the story lacking in a few ways that I’ll get onto later.


3 Stars! 


We follow the perspective of Isobel throughout “An Enchantment Of Ravens.” She’s an artist who paints the fae because they’re forbidden from painting themselves or ANY sort of art/creative work (singing songs/writing poetry/stories etc). Why? You’ll have to read to find out for yourself! She is asked to paint the prince of the autumn court, Rook. He’s our other main character. When it seems something has happened to the artwork that she creates of Rook, she’s pulled into fairy court politics and has to go back to the autumn court with him to seek vengeance for herself. Does she get to do this? Or are there things in her way?


I did think the overall plot was good although the world building was a little heavy in my eyes. The author kept describing everything in a multitude of sentences, when the same thing COULD have been said in a lot less words. I don’t know if this was to up the word count.


I read “An Enchantment Of Ravens” for a few Readathons/Reading Challenges: 


Reading Rivalry - Athena/Minerva - Wisdom, Craft, Strategy - I chose this option because Craft is a major part of the plot to An Enchantment of Ravens, as the fae can’t do anything creative. Otherwise they destroy themselves!


Always Fully Booked Reading Challenge - A debut book - “An Enchantment Of Ravens” was Margaret Rogerson’s first published book, I believe.


Always Fully Booked “On the Cover” Reading Challenge - Birds - there is a bird on the front and another on the back of “An Enchantment Of Ravens.”


Always Fully Booked - Colour challenge - BROWN - A lot of the cover is brown and gives off Autumn vibes! 


Spoilers Below…


“My parlor smelled of linseed oil and spike lavender, and a dab of lead tin yellow glistened on my canvas. I had nearly perfected the color of Gadfly’s silk jacket.

The trick with Gadfly was persuading him to wear the same clothes for every season. Oil paints needed days to dry between layers and he had trouble understanding that I couldn’t just swap his entire outfit for another he liked better. He was astonishingly vain by fair folk standards, which is like saying a pond is unusually wet, or a bear is surprisingly hairy. All in all, it was a disarming quality for a creature who could murder me without rescheduling his tea.

“I might have some silver embroidery done about the wrists,” he said. “What do you think? You could add that couldn’t you?”

“Of course.”


As I said above, Isobel is at first a normal girl who just has a job creating paintings of the fae because they can’t do it themselves. Here, she is drawing her fae client, Gadfly. Gadfly is a significant secondary character in the story. He thinks he’s the most important person but he’s nice, or is he? He’s particular about what he likes as the above shows.


The fair folk, as they’re called in “An Enchantment Of Ravens,” gift their human creators enchantments as payment. Isobel doesn’t want an enchantment from Gadfly, though. All she wants is to keep her and her aunt and sisters safe. Her sisters were once goats, but were changed into humans. 


“My twin sisters weren’t precisely human. They’d begun life as a pair of goat kids before a fair one had had too much wine and enchanted them on a lark. It was slow going, but I reminded myself that at least it was going. This time last year they hadn’t been house-trained…I’d seen March survive eating a broken pot, poison oak, deadly nightshade, and several unfortunate salamanders without any ill effects. For all my concern, March jumping off cabinets posed more danger than the kitchen furniture.” I found this cute and funny. May and March aren’t too present in the story. They’re just there for a little light relief, which was nice to see.


The male main character is a fae called Rook. He’s a tall, fae as is often brought into the story. He knows how to fight and defend his kingdom of autumn. We never actually see the autumn court, though. This surprised me, because the main male character is the prince of autumn, I would have thought the main part of the plot would have taken part there, but it didn’t. It mainly took part in spring, Gadfly’s court. Gadfly is a very arrogant fae. It’s revealed Gadfly is the prince of the spring court half way through the novel. 


“Whatever he said next, and whatever Rook said in reply, was lost to me as I finished digesting the phrase—a welcome to my domain.

I cleared my throat. Gadfly looked around. “Sir, are you the spring prince?” I asked.

He smiled. “Why, yes. None other! Surely I’ve mentioned that to you before?”

“No, I can’t say you have.”

“How remiss of me. I’m so forgetful with mortals—I simply assume everyone already knows.” While Gadfly spoke, Rook studied him with an unreadable expression. “Well, fear not, Isobel. Your manners are beyond reproach. I always felt welcomed as a princely figure in your home. Now, before I forget another detail, would you care to tell me why you’re roaming about in the forest, and in such distinguished company?”


There are some rather aggressive villains in “An Enchantment Of Ravens.” A barrow mound, Hemlock, Foxglove and finally the Alder King. The barrow mound is a natural thing but it’s not of beauty. No, it’s a scary thing that almost destroys both Isobel and Rook. I expected Rook to be able to conquer the barrow mound easily, but no. He struggled. As for the other villains I mentioned, Hemlock was a pity party. Yes, she was bitter but she wasn’t evil, per se. She was more jealous of Isobel I thought, as she was free, and Hemlock wasn’t. Foxglove, again is jealous of Isobel. The Alder King is the main villain of the story. What happens to these villains or horrible characters? Does Isobel defeat the Alder King? Do Isobel and Rook get a happily ever after? You’ll have to read to find out! 


Overall, then I really enjoyed “An Enchantment Of Ravens!” There were some twists that I didn’t see coming. The only thing I wish is that the age was upped, and that it was made an adult book. That would have made sense because then we could have had some more emotional scenes between Isobel and Rook. They’re the scenes that I really love to read. We do get some emotional bits but not enough in my eyes. I think we could have had some sex scenes too. These would have been fun! 


Stand by for my next read coming soon…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #5) by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Brighid's Quest (Partholon Series #5 Review) by PC Cast Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  This book was good.  It took me about 150 pages to really get in to unfourtunately, and even then I really only enjoyed the last half of the book.  This tells more the story of centaur huntress Brighid, although we do see others stories' within this book as well.  Spoilers below! The first 100 or so pages have nothing to really do with the overall plot. It's just Brighid and Cuchulainn (Cu) going to find the femorians that killed Brenna, Cu's lost love. Cu is hell bent on redemption at first but when he gets to know the "new femorians" he doesn't want to hurt them as most of them are only children without parents. He wants to bring them back to find their own redemption at Macallan Castle with Clan Macallan. The new femorians are given the power of restoration by the Goddess Epona. This kind of does come into play right at the end of the novel but I didn't think we needed everything the author gave us to understand what Cu and Brighid w