Skip to main content

Torn (Trylle Trilogy Book 2) by Amanda Hocking Review

Hi ForeverBookers, I've just finished Torn, and wow - I loved it even more than Switched (Book 1). 

I'm giving Torn 5 stars! 

It carries Wendy's story on as she tries to learn enough to become the Queen of Trylle one day in the future. 

Spoilers below, especially if you haven't read book 1. 

This book starts back in the human world because Wendy couldn't handle being royalty at the end of Switched. Matt, Wendy's brotherly figure is in fact meeting his true sibling Rhys for the first time. Then they get captured by the evil Vittra. 

They're taken to the Vittra palace. Here, we learn that Wendy's father is actually the King of the Vittra meaning that she's half Trylle and half Vittra. The author explains this well. 

Before they were captured Loki, one of the Vittra spoke to Wendy. While at the Vittra prison he lets Wendy look around and familiarise herself with the place in case she wanted to stay. She also meets her father, who doesn't seem so bad at first. However, she comes to the decision that she doesn't want to stay so Loki lets her and Matt and Rhys (who got captured with her) go. Finn and Tove take Wendy and the others back to the Trylle palace. 

In the next part of the book nothing much happens, although I still enjoyed reading it for the interactions between Wendy and Tove where Tove tries to teach Wendy to use her power and the obvious love that Finn has for Wendy, even though he doesn't say that he loves her. Finn just wants to protect her and make sure she's safe. He thinks being with him would degrade her and make her not Royal material. Wendy, of course being stubborn doesn't care about this. 

Loki comes to the palace to see Wendy. He's captured straight away and held in a prison like environment. They don't have a prison as such in the Trylle palace so Elora, Wendy's mother, has to use her power to keep Loki captive. This weakens her a lot though. 

 Wendy visits him on numerous occasions because she feels connected to him somehow. He's freed when the Queen of the Vittra comes to get him to take him back to the Vittra. 

Tove proposes to Wendy near the end of Torn. Finn reveals that Tove in gay so she accepts for the good of the Kingdom but it's obvious there's no love between them. They'd just rule as good friends. 

Loki comes back again, in the last few chapters to tell Wendy he loves her and that he'll care for her wherever they are in the world. She declines his offer to take her away because of her duty but she feels a little lost at the thought of not having love in her marriage I think. Her mother said in the previous book that marriage isn't about love, it's about duty and honour but Wendy doesn't feel that way. 

While in the library one night Finn kisses Wendy the way she's always wanted to be kissed by him. His father (who is also a guard) sees and stops the kiss however. He tells Wendy about love not being as important as duty as well. 

Also I appreciated the romance that is developing between Matt and Willa. That's another forbidden romance because a human (Matt) and a Trylle (Willa) aren't allowed to be together. 

As I said first of all I loved Torn even more than Switched. I loved the story progression and the character development. I loved how the secondary characters got some of the limelight as well as Wendy. This book certainly did not suffer from second book syndrome for me. I hope this continues in book 3 - Ascend. I'll be reading that next so stand by for my review...

Have you read this? What did you think if you have? 

📖Belle📖

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #5) by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g