Skip to main content

Heartless (Alexia Tarabotti Book 4) by Gail Carriger Review

Hi ForeverBookers, 

I've just finished reading Heartless and it was fantastic.

5 Stars!

In Heartless, we follow Alexia Maccon again going through her pregnancy as well as trying to work out just who is threatening the queen. We also learn more of the relationships that the characters have or in some cases had to each other as well. Alexia's sister also makes some appearances too. 

Spoilers below...

I apologise if I miss some bits out here, but I suffered with a migraine for 2 days where I couldn't read...

Anyway, Lady Alexia Maccon and Lord Conall Maccon are back together after the events of Blameless. Alexia is looking forward to the birth of her baby when she hears the news that she'll have to give her up for adoption to her best friend Lord Akeldama because of attacks that have been going on recently in London. This is of course once the baby is born. This I can see bringing up desperation for Alexia and Conall, wanting to see their child. They of course don't know what they'll be having yet, boy or girl as the story is set in the 17th century. 

Also, we see a lot of other characters such as Professor Lyall, Madame Lefoux, Lord Akeldama, a few appearances from Alexia's best friend Ivy, who reveals that she's pregnant as well as well as Biffy, the vampire who is now a werewolf. 

The overall plot of Heartless is based around Queen Victoria's supposed assassination, as well as Alexia's pregnancy. Alexia has to try and work out just who it is that's going to attempt to kill the queen. She does this with help of a ghost. This ghost however has to be touched by Alexia because she's going crazy in the book. Alexia's touch will dismiss a ghost and send them onto the next world. 
Alexia sends Ivy to Scotland to get help from the werewolves there because she's too pregnant to go herself. Ivy sends back a clue to help Alexia. 

The end of Heartless is a battle between the vampire Queen, Countess Nadasdy (not Queen Victoria as Alexia first thought) and Madame Lefoux. Madame Lefoux wants the child she raised as her son back. However, Angelique, Quesnel's blood mother gave her son to the Vampire Hive after her death instead of Madame Lefoux. Madame Lefoux builds this octopus contraption to hurt and kill the vampires holding Quesnel. Alexia gets involved in this just before she goes into labour. Does she and the baby survive? You'll have to read to find out. 

Heartless was SO much better than Blameless. It felt like it was a much quicker read, despite the migraine. The plot moved a lot quicker and it was very funny, which helped! There wasn't really a part of Heartless that I didn't like I don't think. It had everything from the romance, which I love...to the comedy, as I've just said to the dramatic moments that were suspenseful as well as written brilliantly. The only thing I didn't quite understand was the title, Heartless. I don't know what that means to the overall story. And I would have liked to have seen a little more of Lord Akeldama as he's a really funny character and I love the relationship between him and Alexia but I expect we'll see more of him in Timeless - The last book of the series. 

I'll either read Timeless or one of the two books I have NetGalley arcs of as they're timed and I only have them until November, and December respectively so stand by for my review of one of them next...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g

The Fine Print (#1 Dreamland Billionaires) by Lauren Asher Review

  Hey ForeverBookers, How are you all doing today? I hope you’re well! I have just finished reading my favourite contemporary EVER!!! “The Fine Print” by Lauren Asher is definitely my new favourite contemporary romance! It had everything I love from forbidden romance, lovable characters, a grumpy sunshine enemies to lovers plot line, funny/cute parts, and the most delicious contemporary sex scene I’ve ever read. It really was cute and hot and everything in between!  5 FREAKING STARS!!! (It would be MORE if I could again, like last time)! I read “The Fine Print” for a few readathons. They were: Reading Rivalry - Another school year begins - I took this as a character having a new job. In “The Fine Print,” both of our main characters, Zahra and Rowan have new job opportunities, as well as a side character. Becca’s Bookopolothon - Published/set since 2020 - “The Fine Print” was published in 2021! “The Fine Print” is very much an ADULT contemporary told from a duel POV.