Skip to main content

This Side Of Murder (Verity Kent #1) by Anna Lee Huber Review...

Hi ForeverBookers, 

I've just finished This Side Of Murder by Anna Lee Hubert and it was great! This isn't my normal type of read but I still enjoyed it. 

NetGalley allowed me access to This Side Of Murder so thanks to them for letting me read and review it.

This Side Of Murder tells the story of widower, Verity. She's going to a house party on an island near England. This story is really about Verity trying to figure out a code as she was a secret code breaker in the war. Verity lost her husband in the War, or so she thinks...

4 Stars

The book is set just after World War 1 so there are some customs that are different to now, smoking being seen as a good or relaxing thing, for example. 

Verity meets another attendee of the party, Max on the way there. They strike up a friendship. The other attendees are rather hostile to Verity. The other women treat her terribly and the other men just seem to ignore her. 

This is a mystery novel where we're trying to work out lots of things. I don't really want to write more because I think it's a lot more shocking if you go into this book blind.

I'm using this for 2 squares of the Boo!kish Bingo on the Life And Lit group on Facebook. The book with a murder and book with a stalker squares. The murder is pretty obvious with as the title has the word Murder in it, and there's what I'd call a stalker in it too, various stalkers, actually. 

What did I like about This Side Of Murder? 

I liked how I was always guessing with this book. Nothing seemed simple. 

I liked how the narrative is written in first person. I think this made the story seem more realistic.

I liked how I was never quite sure what was going on and the surprises that seemed to pop out of nowhere!

I liked how Verity, the main character was always questioning everything. She never just said "that's that". There was thought behind all of her movements.

What didn't I like about This Side Of Murder? 

Some bits of this novel are slow but then some bits are fast, too fast I'd say, so the pacing is a little off in my opinion. 

I didn't like how the romance between 2 characters didn't seem to happen. It might happen in future books! I can only hope! 

I read this book for 2 spots on the Boo!kish Bingo sheet that the group, Life And Lit have done on Facebook. I read it for the Murder square because the title states there is a murder and for the Stalker square too because there's a stalker involved as well, who's trying to figure out secrets, as well as the murderer who becomes a stalker like character.

I'm giving This Side Of Murder 4 Stars because it pleasantly surprised me. When I requested this on NetGalley, I was unsure of just what I would be reading. I wanted to try something different to my preferred genre of romance. It's the perfect time to read this as well, what with it being Halloween soon. I liked how the story was historical but not overdone in the details. I'm looking forward to the next Verity Kent novel.

Will you be reading this mystery read? 

Look for my next review coming soon...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g

The Fine Print (#1 Dreamland Billionaires) by Lauren Asher Review

  Hey ForeverBookers, How are you all doing today? I hope you’re well! I have just finished reading my favourite contemporary EVER!!! “The Fine Print” by Lauren Asher is definitely my new favourite contemporary romance! It had everything I love from forbidden romance, lovable characters, a grumpy sunshine enemies to lovers plot line, funny/cute parts, and the most delicious contemporary sex scene I’ve ever read. It really was cute and hot and everything in between!  5 FREAKING STARS!!! (It would be MORE if I could again, like last time)! I read “The Fine Print” for a few readathons. They were: Reading Rivalry - Another school year begins - I took this as a character having a new job. In “The Fine Print,” both of our main characters, Zahra and Rowan have new job opportunities, as well as a side character. Becca’s Bookopolothon - Published/set since 2020 - “The Fine Print” was published in 2021! “The Fine Print” is very much an ADULT contemporary told from a duel POV.