Skip to main content

Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely Book 1) by Melissa Marr Review

Hi ForeverBookers, how are you? Hope you’re well! 

I’ve just finished Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr, a reread from over 10 years ago, and I really enjoyed it! 

I read Wicked Lovely for a few readathons again:

• For the Fae readathon hosted by my Facebook friend because it’s a Fae read...https://www.facebook.com/events/174558623203831

• Book Bingo...for a book that’s won an award. Wicked Lovely won the award for: the RITA award by romance writers of America...https://m.facebook.com/events/491251081331385?ref=bookmarks

4 Stars!

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.

Aislinn has always seen faeries, her whole life. Her Grams has warned her away from them but that doesn’t stop her from seeing them. When the Summer King, Keenan comes into Aislinn’s life, she has a choice to make. To join the fae as their supposed queen, to become a Winter girl or to stay human but watch as the Fae world disappears before her. What choice does Aislinn make? You’ll need to read to find out! 

There’s faerie law in Wicked Lovely. The Fae are still a part of our world though. Humans can’t see them except Aislinn...

Spoilers Below...

Aislinn lives with her Grams, who has a very minor role in this story. Her role is to tell Aislinn to

“stay away from them as much as you can. Remember the rules.”

The “them” is the fae. Fae can’t be seen by everyone unless they’re powerful, like Keenan, the summer king. Keenan ends up going to school with Aislinn to try and get her to accept him as her future partner. 

Leslie, one of Aislinn’s friends says “looks like Seth has competition...” when they’re at school one day, meaning that she thinks Keenan will date Aislinn. Aislinn doesn’t want this though. It’s clear throughout the novel that Aislinn is only ever Seth’s. When I read this when I was younger, I can remember wanting Aislinn and Keenan together but now that I’m older, I see that Seth is the safer of the two men. Aislinn has known Seth her whole life. She knows that she can rely on him, whereas she’s only just met Keenan, and faeries are tricksters. 

“She pays too much attention to the mortal boy...The summer king oughtn’t to put up with it.” This again is significant because it’s one of Keenan’s advisors’ opinions on Aislinn’s relationship with Seth. It’s not his role to point out who is right for Aislinn, however. Only she should and does decide that. 

A faerie showing thanks is seen as a negative thing in Wicked Lovely. “Thank You is a shallow phrase.” When later in the book Aislinn almost says thanks to a faerie she says, “Thank” - she caught herself before she said those uncomfortable mortal words - “I mean it’s kind of you,” because it’s seen as an insult in the faerie world to say thank you. It certainly isn’t an act of kindness. 

“The other option - giving up her mortal life to be either a Summer Girl or the Summer Queen - didn’t work.”

Aislinn doesn’t want to become a summer girl or the Summer Queen. In this folklore if Aislinn tried to become the Summer Queen and she’s not the right girl, she would end up as a servant to the ruler. Like Donia, who tried to be the Summer Queen but ended up as a Winter Girl, when it was found she wasn’t the right girl. As a winter girl, Donia is under Biera, Keenan’s mother, the evil character’s rule. 

Biera is horrible. She tortures those who don’t do as she wants. I don’t want to spoil it here but she’s one of the worst villains I’ve read about. She’s not quite as bad as Magus from the Stonewylde series by Kit Berry, though, as this is more fantasy than that series. What Magus does happens in reality. 

A job. His consort viewed their union as a job?” 

Aislinn doesn’t consider Keenan as hers. This annoyed me when I first read Wicked Lovely as a young teenager. I now appreciate how Aislinn is standing up for herself, and what she wants out of life, though. She isn’t going to fall into Keenan’s arms and just be his, like so many other YA heroines fall into the easiest option’s arms. She’s going to do what she wants. This was refreshing to read. “No. I am keeping him. There’s no asking involved.” This is what Aislinn says to Keenan, when he wants her to be his. She wants to and will remain with Seth, she’s telling him. 

Overall then, I really enjoyed rereading Wicked Lovely. It was more enjoyable than I remember it being. That’s why I’m giving it 4 Stars. It’s not getting a full 5 because I look for more in my novels than I did when I was a young teenager, when I first read this. I think I would have given it 5 Stars then! 

I won’t read the next book for a while because it doesn’t fit into any of the readathons, I’m taking part in at the moment but I should be reading Ink Exchange before the end of 2018, I’d have thought. 

Stand by for my next review, coming soon...






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g