Skip to main content

Two Princes Of Summer (Book 1 in the Whims Of Fae series) by Nissa Leder Review



Hi ForeverBookers, 

I’ve just finished a great fantasy book! “Two Princes Of Summer” by Nissa Leder is a story centred around a girl who goes to the fae land for a better life...does she get that, though? 

4.5 Stars!

“Two Princes Of Summer”, is told in third person, which worked as the story focused on lots of different elements. It would have been confusing to have different perspectives, and i don’t think that it would have really worked with just one, as there are parts of the story that the lead character isn’t a part of. The story only took me a day to read as well 🙂.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39980204-two-princes-of-summer - the Goodreads link to Two Princes Of Summer.

I read this for certain readathons. They are: 

A book with war qualities to it for Reading Rivalry - https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=2390722221154102&ref=content_filter

A book with mythical creatures for Book Bingo through the Book Democracy - https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=213153302591458&ref=content_filter

Spoilers Below...

“If Scarlett had any choice, she would be far away from the garden of the dead. But her mom now rested there in a cherry wood casket.”

Scarlett is our main character in “Two Princes Of Summer”. She has an older sister, Ashleigh. They’ve lost their mother before the start of the story. At the beginning they’re at their mother’s grave. 

Ashleigh doesn’t really have a role within this first book in the series. She’s more of an antagonist because she pushes Scarlett away. All Scarlett wants is a friendship with her sister, Ashleigh doesn’t appear to want that, though. I think Ashleigh will feature more in the next books in the series, where their relationship will be further explored. 

“She wanted a sister who had her back. Any hopes Scarlett harbored had disappeared after the funeral. Since then, Ashleigh barely spoke to her.”  However, when Ashleigh does speak her she’s really rude and judgemental. “You always complained about how hard your life was. I'm surprised you're not happy she's dead,” is an example of this as Ashleigh is mean to Scarlett. 

Scarlett and Ashleigh’s mother had depression before she died. She also spoke to people who weren’t there. She was seemingly crazy. Scarlett doesn’t think all was right with her mother. 

“Scarlett wanted to believe her mother had finally found her paradise. No matter where her mother resided now, Scarlett had to believe she wasn't in pain.”

Scarlett wants to have adventures. She isn’t content to just sit and wait for them to come to her. She wants her life to improve. 

“Scarlett had always wished for more from life. More excitement. More surprises. More something. She craved new adventure.”

What she doesn’t expect is for a fae prince to come to her and to take her to the fae lands...

Cade is the Prince that takes her to Faerie.

“You're beautiful," he said. He was beautiful, not her.” 

is what Cade says to her. He becomes chauvinistic, though when he listens to his mother, Kassandra. He even goes as far as to lock Scarlett in a prison, when his mother suggests it. Cade is one of the Prince’s Of Summer who’s father is ill. Does he die? Does Cade become King or does Raife, his brother. You’ll have to read to find out! 

I liked Raith much more than Cade. Raith actually cared about Scarlett it seemed, whereas Cade just wanted her to further his chances at getting the Kingdom. Raith is the older brother and he grows as close to Scarlett, if not closer than Cade. “Hello, love.” Raith twirled the flower in his hands,” is what Raith says to Scarlett when she’s allowed outside, one day. The Kingdom is very much run by the fae royals. Because Raith isn’t Kassandra’s son, he’s ostracised by her and therefore everyone else in the Kingdom, except for Scarlett and his trainer, Jaser.   

What else happens in this story of war, love and chaos? What does Scarlett discover about herself? You’ll have to read to find out! 

What did I like about “Two Princes Of Summer”

I liked how we knew the world was different in the fae lands. It was described more sinisterly. 

I LOVED the romance that happened. I know who I like and want Scarlett to be with and I hope this comes more to fruition in the next books.

I liked how there were obvious villains. Sometimes in books it takes ages to actually work out who the evil characters are but in Two Princes Of Summer it was easy to see. This made the story progress more quickly. 

I liked how there was a reason Scarlett ended up in Faerie. She had problems at home and was looking for an escape. 

What didn’t I like about “Two Princes Of Summer”

I didn’t like how lots of this story was strategy based. I highlighted so many strategy parts that I didn’t think were necessary to the overall plot of the story.   

In summary, “Two Princes Of Summer” is a great, mysterious story, where you’re never quite sure what’s going on. That’s why I’m giving it 4.5 Stars! I can’t wait to read book 2, Prisoner Of Darkness! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #5) by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g