Skip to main content

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles Book 2) by Marissa Meyer Review

Hi again ForeverBookers, 

I've just finished Scarlet and wow, it was fantastic! 

The book starts from where Cinder ended with Cinder in jail. She gets to another cell holding another prisoner - Captain Thorne. He is another main character of this series. They escape from the prison, barely. 

While this is happening we're introduced to two new characters. Scarlet, who is worried about the location of her Grandmère (she's French) and Wolf, a vigilante who's escaped his pack. I enjoyed reading about these two characters. They had their funny moments as well as dramatic and even romantic moments. 

Cinder and Thorne find it hard to get on to begin with but they are comrades fighting for the same cause, to strip evil Queen Levana of any right to rule the earth. Cinder is keeping the secret of her really being Princess Selene from everyone, even Iko (her best friend, who becomes a spaceship in Scarlet). She reveals who she is at the very end of the book as that is the only way to save Prince Kai and the rest of the world from Levana's wrath she realises. Prince Kai has a small but vital role to play in Scarlet but he reveals that he does intend to marry Queen Levana at the end of Scarlet begrudgingly. Of course Cinder loves him and so doesn't want him to go through with it. He'll do whatever to save his world and people though. Even if it does mean his death as Levana intends to kill him. 

Going back to Scarlet and Wolf's story, they have to travel to Paris from Scarlet's farm in France. This is dangerous as Scarlet doesn't know Wolf's true intentions. They get close pretty quickly - I didn't mind this as I quite like reading about instant love. When they get to Paris they're captured by the wolf pack who are werewolves. 

These werewolves captured Scarlet's Grandmère to get knowledge from her. Knowledge that could reprimand Cinder and Thorne. I won't spoil what happens at the end because I don't want to spoil the whole book but it's good :). 

Most of this book is set in a futuristic France. This was good to see as we don't see many books set outside the USA, England or just fantasy worlds. I appreciated this. 

Overall then I really, really enjoyed Scarlet.  I thought Cinder was great but Scarlet just ramped the story up a little bit more. I'm therefore giving Scarlet 5 stars. I enjoyed reading about Scarlet and Wolf and their developing relationship as well as Captain Thorne and of course Cinder and Iko as well. I liked how Cinder, Thorne and Iko worked together and how Scarlet and Wolf became a team. At the end of the book, Cinder knows she must discover more about her destiny as Princess Selene and the others are going to help her to do it. 

I look forward to reading Cress next and seeing where that takes the story of The Lunar Chronicles. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g