Skip to main content

The Princess Diaries (The Princess Diaries Book 1) by Meg Cabot Review...

Hey ForeverBookers, 

I’ve just finished The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot and I surprisingly really enjoyed it! I originally though it was a middle grade contemporary book but it’s YA. 

I read it for the Read a book with a pink cover challenge for the Contemporary-a-thon, as well as the book that’s made into the movie for the Popsugar Challenge 2018.

5 Stars!!

The Princess Diaries tells the story of Mia Thermopolis, a school aged American girl who gets a shock when it’s revealed that her father, Philippe, Prince of Genovia can’t have any more children. She’s therefore, a princess in waiting. Mia is shocked about this. She really doesn’t want to be a future princess. We see all the trials and tribulations that Mia faces with being a future princess as well as her love life and friendships.

Spoilers Below...

When we start The Princess Diaries, we learn that Mia thinks she’s just an ordinary American teen. 

“He’s not so cool if he calls your mother in for a parent/teacher conference to talk about how you’re flunking Algebra, then ASKS HER OUT”

shows this because she’s more worried that her mom is dating her Algebra teacher than the Algebra itself and how she’s failing it, like an ordinary teenager would be, I think. 

She has a best friend, Lilly, who is very dedicated to different causes. She has a web show called Lilly Tells It Like It Is where she goes on about those causes. She has a show about the Blair Witch Project but called it the Green Witch Project, instead. 

“Lilly says after the show is aired no one will ever think of MetroCards the same way”

The video is meant to represent how people use money for the wrong things in life, I think. Lilly doesn’t stop until her point is proven, either. This is seen when she breaks off her friendship with Mia because she’s suddenly famous.

“The other thing you have to say about Lilly: When she’s mad, she stays mad. She is totally not speaking to me”

Lilly is mad because Mia didn’t tell her, her best friend about her being a princess. It’s pretty obvious throughout the book after it’s revealed that Mia doesn’t want to be a princess. She just wants to be an ordinary girl, doing ordinary things, like flunking algebra! 

Another significant character is Queen Clarice Renaldi. She’s obviously the Queen of Genovia, Philippe’s mother, and she comes into the story about half way through. She’s there to train Mia into becoming the perfect princess. As I said above, Mia really doesn’t WANT to be a princess so she doesn’t want the Princess lessons or the bodyguards. 

“Why did she have to come NOW? She’s going to ruin EVERYTHING. There’s no way I’m going to be able keep this a secret from everyone with HER around.

Why?

Why??

WHY???” 

This is Mia’s reaction to being told her Grandmother or Grandmère is coming to see her. It’s not positive, as you can see. All Mia wants is to be able to keep her secret, a secret. With Clarice around, that won’t happen.  

From there we see Mia go through lots of different, challenging trials, all to become the princess that she’s meant to be. But does she??? You’ll have to read to find out...

The movie reflects the book quite well, although the movie doesn’t have all of the parts the book has. In the movie for example, Mia’s father has died, whereas in the book he’s very much alive. This threw me off to begin with. 

What did I like about The Princess Diaries?  

I loved reading Mia’s thoughts and feelings and basically experiencing the events through her mind’s eye. The novel is written in her diary entries so we see the events the way she sees them. 

I liked how entertaining Mia was. She’s certainly one of my favourite protagonists, I’ve read in a looooong time! 

I liked the short chapters. The book seemed to fly by because of this. 

What didn’t I like about The Princess Diaries?  

There wasn’t really anything that I didn’t like about the book... 

Overall, I LOVED The Princess Diaries! I loved how all of the characters had a different thing going for them. That’s why I’m giving The Princess Diaries 5 Stars!  

Have you read The Princess Diaries? Did you like it? Did you have any problems with it? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g