Skip to main content

In The Shadow Of 10,000 Hills by Jennifer Haupt Review

Hi ForeverBookers, 

I finished “In The Shadow Of 10,000 Hills” this morning! It was really good. It pulled at my heartstrings quite a bit as well as being uplifting as well. It’s really a conjecture of opposites. 

Thanks to NetGalley for this e-arc! “In The Shadow Of 10,000 Hills” releases on April 1st 2018. 

I’m reading this for the True Crime prompt of the Popsugar 2018 challenge, because although the story is fiction it’s about the real Rwandan genocide epidemic that took place in 1994.. 

“In The Shadow Of 10,000 Hills” is the debut novel for author, Jennifer Haupt. The novel was certainly well researched and could have been her second or third novel, I thought. 

4.5 Stars (5 on Goodreads)!

Spoilers Below...

“In The Shadow Of 10,000 Hills” focuses on the devastation of the Rwandan genocide and its after effects on the people of Rwanda. We follow a young, American woman called Rachel, who’s pregnant at the beginning of novel. She goes through trauma of lots of different kinds throughout the story. She’s trying to find her father, Henry. Does she, though?

Rachel isn’t the only one who suffers. A male character, called Tucker, who is a doctor and who’s looking after a little girl, Rose for the majority of “In The Shadow Of 10,000 Hills” is also suffering as well as Rose, herself. As well as those characters, Lillian, the woman who Rachel seeks out for information about her father is suffering as well as a girl she looks after, Nadine. 

There is clearly A LOT of suffering throughout “In The Shadow Of 10,000 Hills” in a miscarriage for a character, as well as a marriage breakup, as well as death, as well as potentially loosing someone close, but there’s also hope scattered throughout the novel too! 

With all this suffering, though, there are hopeful moments, in a romance that develops between two characters and just an outpouring of love from other characters. 

“It’s this place, so beautiful and full of promise. Rwanda, the people and the land, draw you in, take everything you have and make you dig deep in your soul, willingly, to keep searching for more”, is a prominent quote because the majority of the novel takes place in Rwanda. It’s also meaningful because it draws you in and leaves you wanting more, I think...

I don’t want to write any major spoilers or more quotes because I think this is a book where it’s best to go into it blind and be surprised by how good it is. Also, because it deals with real world problems it’s realistic and doesn’t play with the facts of death. 

What did I like about “In The Shadow Of 10,000 Hills”? 

I liked the relevance the novel bought to problems in the real world that most don’t see. I certainly didn’t know about the Rwandan genocide before reading this story. 

I liked the characters and how each one bought something different to the story. 

I liked the descriptions of the settings. The African ones, are described in great detail because most reading this, probably won’t have experienced them.  

What didn’t I like about “In The Shadow Of 10,000 Hills”? 

I didn’t like how we’re thrust into the past for 5 or so chapters in the middle of “In The Shadow Of 10,000 Hills”. I understand this was showing us what life was like before the genocide but the characters that I really cared about were all in the current story, not the past, so I skim read those. If we’d of had present day chapters breaking the past chapters up, I think it would have been better. 

I’m giving “In The Shadow Of 10,000 Hills” 4.5 Stars because I really enjoyed it. The characters seemed like they could just jump off the page and into real life, they were written so well. I enjoyed every storyline brought up, particularly the romance. My favourite characters were Rachel, Tucker and Rose. They were the ones I felt closest to while reading, maybe because I’m the same sort of age as Rachel or just younger than her. 

Will you be reading “In The Shadow Of 10,000 Hills”? Does it sound interesting to you?

Stand by for my next review coming soon...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g