Skip to main content

The Ice Whisperers by Helenka Stachera Review

Hi ForeverBookers, 

How are you all today? I hope you’re well!

I’ve just finished reading “The Ice Whisperers” by Helenka Stachera, which I really enjoyed. It’s set in two timelines, a modern one, Poland 1910, and one a long time ago 40,000 years before. Poland only has a minimal amount of chapters devoted to it, though. It had surprising elements that I didn’t expect. I thought it would be more simple than it was, baring in mind it’s aimed at a younger end of YA or middle grade audience. I didn’t mind this, however, as it made the story more exciting. There was no romance in the story, either. This I expected, baring in mind the audience its aimed at again, but it didn’t make it any less riveting to read. If I hadn’t been making notes for this review, I would have finished it within a few days, I’m sure!


The setting of “The Ice Whisperers” is mainly in the Spirit World. This was fun to read about. There are animal gods, as well as tribes people in this spirit world. The spirit world is set 40,000 years before the present day in this book, which is the 1900’s. 


I read this for Polarthon, a readathon based around polar fantasy books hosted by Jadeyraereads on YouTube. I read “The Ice Whisperers” for the prompt: An Adventure. I completed a lot more books for this readathon last year but due to being busy I couldn’t take part in the same way this year.


Reading Rivalry - I read this for A Book With AESOP - A story with a moral - The most prominent morals in “The Ice Whisperers” are Treat others the way you want to be treated as well as having courage.


Popsugar Reading Challenge 2022 - A book about a secret - There are lots of secrets revealed in “The Ice Whisperers” that our main characters don’t know about - The main one being that they’re sisters! Why is that kept a secret? You’ll have to read to find out!



Jade and Gavin read "The Ice Whisperers" for Middle Grade Monthly so I'm excited to watch their video on Youtube about it to see their thoughts on it.


“The Ice Whisperers” follows a young girl called Bela. We see how she’s abused at first by her extended family. Her Aunt Olga is the main character that treats her badly at first. She’s only in the first few chapters, however.


Guns, fighting, and betrayal all make an appearance at some point in “The Ice Whisperers,” but there are heartwarming moments too.


“It was all Bela could do to stay hidden and quiet. How dare her aunt sell her off as if she was one of her possessions?

“But Olga had no such misgivings. “Well, that’s settled then,” she said. “After all, she can’t stay here, especially after that incident on the roof. I dread to think how many people saw her.” Olga picked up a pen. “Where do I sign?” This happens Bela is seen on the roof of her posh house where she lives in Kraków, in Poland with her posh, snobby and mean Aunt Olga.  Bela’s mother is seen as mad. She died after Bela was born, so she’s never a character we actually see in the book. She’s just referred to. How did she die? You’ll need to read to find out for yourself.


Bela is sent to Siberia, where her father lives. Her scientist uncle is there in Wilder House, a dominating old house. Is her uncle good or evil? She uncovers a secret wintry world at Wilder House, in which she finds a sister, in the spirit world, Ren-ya born 40,000 years before her! How is that possible? You’ll need to read and find out for yourself.


“The seam of the flavour that came to her had some of the musk of her people, but it was mixed with something else, something she’d tasted before. The sharp, willow sap flavour of the white-eye.


This is just after Bela and Ren-ya meet. Ren-ya isn’t sure what to make of Bela at first. They don’t get on to begin with. Can they in the end learn to tolerate and maybe even love each other? What tasks will they need to take on if they’re going to get on? 


Ren-ya and Bela can both taste experiences. They know when they can trust someone and when they can’t. She had a heightened sense of taste and lived in a world full of an endless variety of vivid flavours. While other people looked and listened to each other, Bela tasted what people were thinking and feeling.” This is about Bela. We learn early on that she has a heightened sense of taste. This power is useful when Bela and Ren-ya need to work out if someone is lying or truthful at different times in the story.


Bela needs to find her father who’s in spirit world, she thinks. This is the main plot of “The Ice Whisperers,” I’d say, Bela finding her father. Is he in the Spirit World, set years before the current world that Bela is from? And what perils will Bela have to overcome to find him? You’ll need to read to find out. Also there’s a necklace that causes a lot of strain and stress for the characters. An evil one wants it, but will they get it in the end? You’ll have to read to find out!


Overall, this was a great middle grade. I thought the characters were really fleshed out. They were the best part of The Ice Whisperers,” for me. I could certainly tell who the villains were but I think that in middle grade fiction you’re meant to be able to tell who the evil characters are. The sisterly bond that grew between Bela and Ren-ya was special too. It didn’t just happen like that, it took time to build as it realistically would. Some of the situations were a little unbelievable, though even for a fantasy middle grade, however so that’s why I’m giving it 4 stars! There are a few events that happen that I haven’t mentioned in this review but I think it’s best to go in more or less blind. That way you’ll be surprised. 


Stand by for my next review, coming soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #5) by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Brighid's Quest (Partholon Series #5 Review) by PC Cast Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  This book was good.  It took me about 150 pages to really get in to unfourtunately, and even then I really only enjoyed the last half of the book.  This tells more the story of centaur huntress Brighid, although we do see others stories' within this book as well.  Spoilers below! The first 100 or so pages have nothing to really do with the overall plot. It's just Brighid and Cuchulainn (Cu) going to find the femorians that killed Brenna, Cu's lost love. Cu is hell bent on redemption at first but when he gets to know the "new femorians" he doesn't want to hurt them as most of them are only children without parents. He wants to bring them back to find their own redemption at Macallan Castle with Clan Macallan. The new femorians are given the power of restoration by the Goddess Epona. This kind of does come into play right at the end of the novel but I didn't think we needed everything the author gave us to understand what Cu and Brighid w