Skip to main content

The Southern Book Club’s Guide To Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix Review!

 Hi ForeverBookers, 


How are you all? I hope you’re well. I’m sorry I haven’t posted in a long time. I’ve been busy but I have still been reading! I’ve finished “The Southern Book Club’s Guide To Slaying Vampires” by Grady Hendrix, and I surprisingly enjoyed it quite a lot. Is it the best book I’ve read, no, but does it have some shocks, twists and things I didn’t see coming, YES!!! 


3 Stars!


“The Southern Book Club’s Guide To Slaying Vampires” is a story that surprised me. I thought it would be more focused around the book club but it isn’t. It’s more so based around the lives of the members of the book club.  


I read “The Southern Book Club’s Guide To Slaying Vampires” for a few readathons. They were: 


Reading Rivalry - Historical Fantasy - it’s set throughout the last 3 decades of the 1900’s and as the title suggests a vampiric creature is involved in the plot.


Popsugar Reading Challenge 2022 - A Social-Horror book - I’m taking that as a book that has the social aspect but is also a horror. This book was certainly horrific towards the end! 


“The Southern Book Club’s Guide To Slaying Vampires” is an adult book! It has some rather gross descriptions in the middle and especially towards the end!


Spoilers Below


“They selected the books Marjorie wrote down for them, assigned each book to the month Marjorie thought best, and picked the discussants Marjorie thought were most appropriate. The discussant would open the meeting by delivering a twenty-minute presentation on the book, its background, and the life of its author, then lead the group discussion. A discussant could not cancel or trade books with anyone else without paying a stiff fine because the Literary Guild of Mt. Pleasant was not fooling around.

When it became clear she wasn’t going to be able to finish Cry, the Beloved Country, Patricia called Marjorie.

“Marjorie,” she said over the phone while putting a lid of on the rice and turning it down from a boil. “It’s Patricia Campbell. I need to talk to you about Cry, the Beloved Country.”

“Such a powerful work,” Marjorie said.

“Of course,” Patricia said. 

“I know you’ll do it justice,” Marjorie said.

“I’ll do my best,” Patricia said, realizing that this was the exact opposite of what she needed to say.

“And it’s so timely with the situation on South Africa right now,” Marjorie said.

A cold bolt of fear shot through Patricia: what was the situation on South Africa right now?

After she hung up, Patricia cursed herself for being a coward and a fool, and vowed to go to the library and look up Cry, the Beloved Country in the Directory of World Literature, but she had to do snacks for Korey’s soccer team…” 


This is significant as it’s what starts the main event of the story, I feel — the book club. Everything stems from the book club, so without it there wouldn’t be a story. Patricia, our main character, hasn’t had time to read the book she was assigned by the head of the book club, snotty, hard-nosed Marjorie so she calls to tell her that, but chickens out. I found this entertaining. Because Marjorie is soooo hard-nosed she doesn’t like how Patricia wasn’t able to finish the book when she can’t talk in depth about it a few pages later, and so Patricia leaves the club. Her friends at the club don’t like how Patricia has left, so they quit and then form their own book club.


“Listen.” Kitty placed her body between the two of them and Marjorie’s front door, just in case Marjorie was watching and could read lips. “I’m having some people read a book and come over to my house next month to talk about it. Maryellen’ll be there.”

“I couldn’t possibly find the time to belong to two book clubs,” Patricia said. 

“Trust me,” Kitty said. “After today, Marjorie’s book club is done.”


This is Kitty, one of Patricia’s friends from the old book club, Kitty, saying that Marjorie’s book club is DONE! No one wants to be a part of it now. We only hear about a few people from that book club, though. They join Patricia’s book club. Kitty, Slick and Maryellen are the characters that join it. The plot really starts at page 74, where the character James Harris enters the story. James is a mystery to begin with. I wasn’t sure what to think of him at first. However, as the story continued it’s obvious that James is indeed the villain of the story. The way the author never referred to him as just James but always James Harris gave that away too. 


“Beneath him, a young black girl lay sprawled on the floor, long orange T-shirt pushed up to her stomach, legs akimbo, an ugly dark purple mark on the inside of one thigh, oily with fluids.”


This is the first time that I saw James as the villain of The Southern Bookclub’s Guide To Slaying Vampires.” He’s sucking the blood from a young girl. He kills children of Six Mile, an area of Louisiana in the book. Mrs. Greene is a woman that suspects James of killing the children before it’s revealed. Patricia cottons on to this belief and starts to think the same of James Harris. James is known as “James Harris” from page 74 until the end of the novel. This is how I knew he was a significant character. If he’d been called just James, I feel it would have added to the mystery surrounding him. I thought the author focused on telling us WHO the villain was too early!


Patricia is the character we get to know the most in the novel. We get to know her husband, Carter who annoyed me if I’m being honest and her children, Korey and Blue too, but only briefly. Blue is a young boy who is quite inquisitive. He wants to know everything. Korey, on the other hand is more closed off. She is quiet and we never know what she’s thinking. Patricia’s children and husband aren’t a huge part of the plot but they’re present throughout and become significant at times.  


A huge part of The Southern Book Club’s Guide To Slaying Vampires” is trying to persuade the members of the book club that James is evil. It’s only Patricia and Mrs. Greene, a cleaner from Six Mile, where the children have gone missing, that believe that James is evil! Everyone else thinks he’s innocent at first. When do they start to see James for who he truly is? Is James even the evil character he’s made out to be? Or is he innocent? You’ll have to read for yourself! 


If there’s a negative part to The Southern Book Club’s Guide To Slaying Vampires” or something that I didn’t enjoy it was the writing style. I honestly thought the plot could have been written in half the pages. It was very wordy to me, which it really didn’t need to be. 


Overall, I enjoyed “The Southern Book Club’s Guide To Slaying Vampires.” It wasn’t everything I wanted, but the intrigue was certainly enough to keep me reading. That’s why I’m giving it 3 stars. If you want a good mystery with lots of twists and turns, then I highly suggest this book! I read this over the Halloween period, and it was perfect as it takes place then too. There are parts of the book that I haven’t mentioned in this review but I’ve summed up the significant points. 


Stand by for my next review, coming soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #5) by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Brighid's Quest (Partholon Series #5 Review) by PC Cast Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  This book was good.  It took me about 150 pages to really get in to unfourtunately, and even then I really only enjoyed the last half of the book.  This tells more the story of centaur huntress Brighid, although we do see others stories' within this book as well.  Spoilers below! The first 100 or so pages have nothing to really do with the overall plot. It's just Brighid and Cuchulainn (Cu) going to find the femorians that killed Brenna, Cu's lost love. Cu is hell bent on redemption at first but when he gets to know the "new femorians" he doesn't want to hurt them as most of them are only children without parents. He wants to bring them back to find their own redemption at Macallan Castle with Clan Macallan. The new femorians are given the power of restoration by the Goddess Epona. This kind of does come into play right at the end of the novel but I didn't think we needed everything the author gave us to understand what Cu and Brighid w