Skip to main content

Leave The Night On (CottonBloom #4) by Laura Trentham Review

Hi ForeverBookers, 

How are you all today? 

I've just finished "Leave The Night On", another great contemporary book! It's still summer, right? ☀️. 

4.5 Stars! I think people would like this if they like ADULT small town romances, fun/caring characters with substance, and a decent plot.

NOTE: Leave The Night On is an adult read due to sexual content and lying/scheming.

Leave The Night On is book 4 in the Cottonbloom series. I didn't know this before I looked on Goodreads, after I had requested it on NetGalley. It luckily works as a stand alone, though. Netgalley should really tell those requesting books where the book comes in the series, though, I think, or if the book is a standalone. That might be something that NetGalley can improve on in the future? Thanks to Netgalley for this e-arc.   

Leave The Night On starts with Wyatt, our lead male character who works in a garage with his brothers. Wyatt is a twin. Jackson is his twin brother, and Ford is his other brother. "Leave The Night On" starts when our female lead, Sutton brings her fiancé, Andrew's car into the garage. 

When Wyatt uncovers a pair of panties in the back of Sutton's fiancé's car it makes Sutton question her thoughts about whether Andrew is the right man for her. We learn that Andrew is very stuck up and posh and that he doesn't care for Sutton herself. He just wants to be with her because he's a lawyer and it makes his social standing better. 

Wyatt suggests that both he and Sutton start a 'fake' relationship. For him, it's about showing Sutton that she's better than she thinks she is and for Sutton it's about showing Andrew that Sutton can live without him. Does this 'fake' relationship lead to more, though? Can Wyatt and Sutton turn what's fake into reality? You'll need to read to find out...

Spoilers below...

When Wyatt first sees Sutton he compares the both of them. "She was Southern femininity and grace. And he was a grease monkey". I thought this was cute and funny. Wyatt puts himself down a lot and doesn't think he's worthy of Sutton, at first. He often compares them. He learns that it doesn't matter what his background is throughout "Leave The Night On", especially when he hears about and then meets Andrew, who may have a more upstanding job that him but is horrible.

Also, Sutton's parents are hard on Wyatt also, although they clearly love and want what's best for Sutton. 

"Her daddy's a judge. I can't afford to make an enemy of him" is Andrew's reaction to Sutton's best friend's plea to be with her instead of Sutton. He doesn't want to anger Sutton's father because he could loose his job. It's not that he loves Sutton. It never was. He was only with her to further his career.

"Wyatt transferred the wrench to his left hand, wiped the right across the front of his coveralls and took her hand in a firm shake. "I'm the youngest by a minute, and Jackson never lets me forget it. But that's okay because I'm better looking" 

this is the first interaction that Sutton and Wyatt have. Wyatt has a funny personality that Sutton can easily connect to.

"From what I've heard, I'm lucky to have your love and devotion even if it is temporary". Her sexy-sweet tease faded as her words hung between them. She shifted and fiddled with her hair. "I mean, the car is lucky, not me.
The graceful play of fingers at her neck was hypnotizing". 

I could tell pretty early on in the book that Wyatt and Sutton would get together. Would and how would they stay together, were more the questions that I was pondering? 

What did I like about Leave The Night On? 

* I loved our lead characters. I felt I could totally see myself in Sutton, a girl who's not been given many chances at happiness in her life. Also, I found Wyatt to be cute, and funny.

* When I started Leave The Night On, I was worried that there would be a big love triangle between Sutton, Andrew and Wyatt. I'm glad to say that this is not the case. It's established pretty early on that Andrew and Sutton break up.

* I loved the cover of Leave The Night On. This is what drew me to the story.

What didn't I like about Leave The Night On?

* The pacing of the story seemed a little off. There certainly wasn't any instalove but because it's so short it just felt too slow to me. I would have preferred to see Sutton and Wyatt make up their minds about each other sooner. Or for the book to be slightly longer so we got to see if they worked long term.

* I personally didn't understand how the title linked to the story. If I had read the previous books in this series of stand alone novels then maybe I would be able to...

I loved Leave The Night On. The only thing that I would have altered slightly is the pacing of the story. It's quite a short read so I would have lengthened it a little bit and added more interaction between our main characters and other secondary characters, as well as each other. We get to see a little bit of this but not very much. That and not knowing what the title really means led me to dock half a star but for a cute, small town romance it's got a lot going for it. That's why I'm giving Leave The Night On 4.5 stars. 

Stand by for my next review, coming soon...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Thorns And Roses (ACOTAR #1) by Sarah J Maas Review

  Hi ForeverBookers,   This review is coming a couple of days late because I’ve just had my COVID vaccine and I had to recover, anyway, I’ve just finished “A Court Of Thorns And Roses” or “ACOTAR” as it’s commonly referred to, by Sarah J Maas. It was a reread but I’m VERY glad that I did reread it. I’m going to try and reread all the books throughout this year to get ready for the now newly released “A Court Of Silver Flames,” which I’ll hopefully read at the beginning of next year (I already own it!) Anyway, I absolutely LOVED “ACOTAR” even more so, perhaps, than my other times reading it. I think it’s because I know what happens in the rest of the first trilogy. I already have reviews up for the other books, except, of course, “A Court Of Silver Flames.” I might redo or add to the “ A Court Of Mist And Fury” review. 5 Stars!  The readathons I read “ACOTAR” for were: The Cardcaptor-a-thon - The Light - Read a book with a light and/or bright cover - I class the red cove

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g