Skip to main content

Pets At Primrose Cottage Part 1 by Sheila Norton Review

Happy New Year, ForeverBookers!

Last night, I finished Pets At Primrose Cottage by Sheila Norton: Part 1. It was good. I don’t think I quite enjoyed it as much as her other serialised novel, The Vets At Hope Green because the lead female character came across as younger and more childish/immature in this part of Pets At Primrose Cottage. I have hope that she’ll grow up in the other parts. 

3 Stars!

We follow Emma who used to live in America but after a scandal, she moves back home, to England. We, as the readers don’t know what happened, yet. I think this will be revealed in part 2 or 3 of this novel. She starts a pet sitting business to hide her lies to everyone, where she now lives in England. 

Spoilers Below...

“Actually, I was sure it was worse for me, since I was the cause of all this fuss and attention”

This is Emma comparing her life to that of her twin sister, Kate. Emma thinks she’s the worse off in her family because of this thing that happened. She’s not living with her family because they, apparently, can’t deal with the stress of what happened to her. I’m sure this is overly dramatic, but then she seems to be one for being over dramatic so this isn’t a surprise. 

“They said they were sorry I wasn’t staying, but their faces told me otherwise. They were relieved. I wasn’t the kind of daughter a family would want living with them. I was a liability" 

tells us that Emma is being dramatic by saying her family doesn’t want her with them. She’d prefer to be on her own, is what she means, I think. She comes across to me as a selfish character here, because her parents didn’t tell her to go. She left because she wanted to or thought it was best. It’s like Emma wants someone to blame. I don’t like these sorts of characters. At the moment, she doesn’t have any redeeming qualities.  

Emma wants to stay under the radar after what happened to her. That means that even in England she just wants to be in a quiet, little town, where nobody speaks to her. She chose the wrong town, when she chose Crickleford, in Dorset. People chat to her and want to know her business a lot. All we know is this “scandal” is something to do with her ex, who is still in America. 

The pet sitting happens by accident. Emma is asked to look after the family she’s staying with cats’ while their on holiday. That’s where the title, Pets At Primrose Cottage comes from. 

We don’t get any romantic twists in this part. This was kind of disappointing but I’m still interested in Emma’s story. 

What did I like about Pets At Primrose Cottage, part 1? 

I liked how the book is told in first person. We might get a look into why Emma is the way she is in future parts, I hope, and maybe see some redeeming qualities. 

I liked the settings. I thought they were described well. I could easily picture where the characters were. 

I thought the book (this part at least) was well written. I just didn’t like the main character. 

What didn’t I like about Pets At Primrose Cottage, part 1?

As I said above, I didn’t like Emma’s character but I hope as we learn more about her in the other parts of the story, I’ll start to see why she’s like she is. 

I didn’t like that there was no love interest. In Sheila Norton’s other novel the main love interest is introduced in the first part. I don’t think Pets At Primrose Cottage is focused so much on romance but I hope we get some, somewhere.

I technically read this in the last couple of days in December so it counts as part of my 2017 reading goal, although I’ll add it to my 2018 reading goal as I’m writing this review on January 1st, 2018. 

I’ll be reading another arc next so stand by for that review in a few days...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #5) by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g