Skip to main content

The First Kiss Of Spring (Eternity Springs Book 14) by Emily March Review

Hi Foreverbookers, 

How are you all today? I Hope you’re well 🙂. 

I’ve just finished another great book! “The First Kiss Of Spring” is the 14th book of a contemporary series, called “Eternity Springs” by Emily March. Thanks to NetGalley for allowing me access to read it. I haven’t read any others of the books in the “Eternity Springs” series so I don’t know if the characters crop up in more than one novel.

3.5 Stars (4 on Goodreads)!

I read this for the book that I borrowed or that was given to me as a gift promt on The Popsugar Reading Challenge because I was technically borrowing it from NetGalley. 

We follow the lives of Caitlin and her family, as well as Josh in “The First Kiss Of Spring”. 

Caitlin Timberlake and Josh Tarkington are the main characters. The story is told from 3rd person, omniscient point of view. I would have liked to have seen the story from Caitlin’s perspective because I enjoy reading thoughts and feelings first hand, but the 3rd person perspective wasn’t a terrible choice. We do get a few parts from a 1st person POV at the start of each chapter. I won’t spoil who they’re from here...look in the spoiler section if you want to know...

Caitlin and Josh meet on a trip that they’ve both taken individually. Caitlin has gone to a friend’s wedding to be a bridesmaid and josh is there to be a tourist. They meet on a gondola (a train, not a boat). Caitlin is from New York. She was brought up in Eternity Springs but moved to New York to work in the fashion business. Josh is a mechanic. Caitlin moves back to Eternity Springs because of Josh. She feels an attraction, when she meets him...

Addiction plays a part in “The First Kiss Of Spring”, as well as the disease ALS so if you’re at all wary of those then this might not be the book for you. It’s also an adult romance, too. 

Spoilers Below...

The first words Josh says to Caitlin, before he even sees her are, “This is one of the pet friendly cabins. I hope you don’t mind sharing with my dog”. Caitlin doesn’t mind. The dog, Copper Penny, or just Penny is a disabled dog who has a doggy wheelchair. Josh made it. He’s a mechanic so he’s good at making things. Josh comes across as a very caring character when we first meet him. Later on we see him change slightly into someone not so caring. He’s an ex drug user. The reason Josh has Penny is that her owner had to go into a home so he went to the vets looking for a “manly dog” but walked out with her instead. Caitlin and Josh get to know each other better on this gondola. 

Caitlin invites Josh to her friend’s wedding. He says yes and things go from there. Both of these characters have many hurdles to overcome...do they and at what cost? You’ll have to read to find out...

I really enjoyed reading “The First Kiss Of Spring”. It had almost everything I was looking for. I won’t write what it didn’t have because that would lead to a major spoiler but it was cute, funny and a good book about hope. 

“Hope was the tender sprout of a crocus bulb pushing through a blanket of snow”

is one of my favourite lines of “The First Kiss Of Spring” because it’s so true. We all have to hope to succeed...

What did I like about “The First Kiss Of Spring”?

* I liked how the story focused on the building relationship between Caitlin and Josh. Yes, we got some other stories, too, but the building romance was the main one.

* I loved the moments between Caitlin and Josh. Their relationship was very realistically written about. 

* The overall pace of the story seemed well written. In contemporaries, sometimes we don’t get enough of each individual story that goes into the book. This didn’t happen here. For example, the author wrote the romance, the ALS, the drugs, Caitlin’s change of job. Nothing outshone anything else. It was all equal. 

What didn’t I like about “The First Kiss Of Spring”?

* I didn’t like how I felt a chunk of the story was missing. What I mean by this is Caitlin says she wants children to Josh at least three times in this book. She doesn’t get pregnant, though. I don’t think it was necessary to say that she wanted them if she wasn’t going to ever get pregnant, if that makes sense. I don’t know if she’ll crop up in a future book pregnant but still...

* I thought the story could have done without the drugs storyline. It just seemed shoved in at the end. 

* I would have preferred to have had the story told from Caitlin’s perspective as it would have added an extra layer to the story.

Overall, I enjoyed “The First Kiss Of Spring”. I’m giving it 3.5 Stars (4 on Goodreads)I might read the others in the series...

Thanks for reading and check back to see my next review soon...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #5) by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g