Skip to main content

Unbound (Rebound Book 2) by Rosemary Rey Review

Hi ForeverBookers, 

I’ve just finished my reread of “Unbound” by Rosemary Rey, book 2 in the Rebound trilogy and I liked it!

3 Stars!

The readathons I read “Unbound” for were: 

* The OWLS Magical Readathon - This readathon finished at the end of April but I think that Professor Flitwick would be fine with me taking an extra day to finish my charms exam, as I had bad headaches last month. I was reading “Unbound” for Charms because it’s an adult romance, which for me counts as an adult work. That means, I’ve passed my Writer/Journalism OWLS and I’ve got my Charms OWL too. How have your OWLS gone, if you took part? Let me know below. 

* The Spring-a-thon - I read “Unbound” for the challenge of a book with friendship/family because Perla friends are really there for her in the book to help her through her struggles.

Popsugar Reading Challenge 2019 - A book you think should be turned into a movie - I love romance in everything I consume so I'd love to see this whole series as a movie.

“Unbound” directly follows the events of Rebound, book 1 so if you haven’t read that first, I suggest doing so, as you won’t understand what’s going on otherwise and you’ll be spoiled for events in book 1. 

We’re still following Perla, our main character from “Rebound” but in “Unbound” she goes through a LOT of emotions. Where Rebound was very sex heavy, “Unbound” isn’t. Perla and Matt have sex probably two or three times because they’re going through struggles as a couple, as the title “Unbound” suggests. Why are they going through hard times? You’ll need to read “Rebound” and then “Unbound” to find out. 

We do get chapters from Perla and Matt’s perspective in “Unbound.” I enjoyed reading from Matt’s perspective as well as Perla’s as it gave us both halves of the story, which Rebound didn’t so much as it was mainly from Perla’s point of view. Here, we get to see how sorry Matt is for what he did in Rebound, as well as Matt’s views about events in “Rebound” and “Unbound.” 

NOTE: There are still sex scenes within “Unbound,” though not as many, like I said above, and negative or depressive talk so if you’re uncomfortable reading any of that maybe don’t pick this up, even though it is the second book in a trilogy so if you want to continue the Rebound story you’ll need to read this to get all the information you need, especially as Unbound ends on a cliffhanger. Also the erotic scenes make this another adult book.

I don’t want to spoil too much of the plot of this book, as it’s a sequel with a few surprises that I didn’t see coming the first time I read it, either so the spoiler section won’t be too long. 

I will say that this sequel didn’t really get going until about 40% through the story so there’s a long build up to events. 

Spoilers Below...

“Anything’s possible, but how can I trust a love which began in such a deceptive manner. I will always look at him and think it was about the money.”

This is Perla talking to her best friend, Carson, a side character, about her and Matt’s breakup. Matt quite literally became Perla’s rebound in book 1, after her ex divorced her months before. However, for most of “Unbound,” she believes that Matt used her to get money from her to pay for Pentagon’s (his company’s) finances. He and his friends took something very dear to Perla in Rebound and that’s what started this distrust of him and of Pentagon for her. Carson is asking her if it’s possible that she’s been a little too angry here, and if there’s a possible way that she and Matt can find their way back to each other? Can they? You’ll need to read to find out.

“the Pentagon shares, which Matt signed over to me in contemplation of our marriage.”

Brady, the antagonist in this book wants the shares of Pentagon to be solely his. He doesn’t care about Perla and Matt’s relationship. He’s a greedy character, only out for what he can get. Matt gives Perla his shares in Pentagon first as a wager in their marriage, then in a hope that it will get them back on track. Does it or does it just cause even more drama? You’ll have to read to find out. 

“The only business I maintained separately from Pentagon was my medical practice, which was lucrative on its own.”

is an example of the business talk. This is a part from Matt’s perspective. I didn’t hate these parts but I’m a romance lover, which you’ll know if you’ve read any of my other reviews, meaning that I find things with limited romance kind of boring. Matt is summing up what’s happened to him and Perla here and why they’re not together anymore. In Rebound Matt’s lines were romantic and sexy but here they’re not, as he thinks he’s lost Perla. Some of his lines towards the end are more romantic but for the most part it’s more about his business with Pentagon, wanting and trying to regain his shares than the romance. 

There were shocks that I completely forgot about the first time I read “Unbound.” One of which being Brady and his relationship to Perla. I won’t spoil more but it’s good. Also there’s a shady character that we don’t know the intentions of, who is in Rebound too. This goes over into book 3 however, so I don’t want to go more into that here. I will do so in my “Bound” review in a few months time. 

I can remember ONE thing about “Bound,” book 3. It’s my guilty pleasure to read about in books so I’ll let you know what it is when I review it. I never finished it before because I was busy with studying, I think so I can finish it in a few months. I’m REALLY looking forward to it. I’m not reading this series together because I don’t want it to rush by as series, especially trilogies, as this is and duologies tend to do with me. 

All in all then, I enjoyed “Unbound.” It was a little slow in places, where the business stuff was going on and the romance wasn’t quite as evident as in “Rebound” but it was still good. I’m therefore giving it 3 stars! 


Stand by for my next review, coming soon...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #5) by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Brighid's Quest (Partholon Series #5 Review) by PC Cast Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  This book was good.  It took me about 150 pages to really get in to unfourtunately, and even then I really only enjoyed the last half of the book.  This tells more the story of centaur huntress Brighid, although we do see others stories' within this book as well.  Spoilers below! The first 100 or so pages have nothing to really do with the overall plot. It's just Brighid and Cuchulainn (Cu) going to find the femorians that killed Brenna, Cu's lost love. Cu is hell bent on redemption at first but when he gets to know the "new femorians" he doesn't want to hurt them as most of them are only children without parents. He wants to bring them back to find their own redemption at Macallan Castle with Clan Macallan. The new femorians are given the power of restoration by the Goddess Epona. This kind of does come into play right at the end of the novel but I didn't think we needed everything the author gave us to understand what Cu and Brighid w