Skip to main content

Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward Review

Hey ForeverBookers,


How are you all today? I hope you’re well!


I’ve just finished reading “Sing, Unburied, Sing” by Jesmyn Ward and I thought it was quite meh, to be honest. It tells the story of a family and how they cope through the hardest of times. The story is told through three perspectives, Jojo, a young, thirteen year old boy and his mother Leonie, and a mystery perspective that I don’t want to spoil. I enjoyed reading from Jojo’s perspective the most, I think because he had the most pull on the story. We also hear from selfish Leonie’s perspective, who’s far more concerned about herself and her happiness than either of her children. I also loved reading about Kayla, Jojo’s little sister. She’s an innocent little baby in the book, who loves her brother more than anyone else. She added some much needed comedy/humour to an otherwise quite dull and boring story. 


The story is about Jojo and his mother - Leonie, sister - Michaela or Kayla, as she’s also known, and Leonie’s friend - Misty going to get his father -  Michael from Parchmen jail. Michael is white and Leonie is black skinned so we have the parallel of white/black skinned people as well. Michael’s white parents are very racist towards Leonie. In the novel White is written with a capital W. This I think is to show how white’s think their better than black’s which I don’t think is true, at least where I’m from.


2.5 Stars!


Reading Rivalry - I finished “Sing, Unburied, Sing” in October so it doesn’t count but it would have worked for the prompt of “find Yourself” because I feel Jojo discovers who he is throughout the novel. I buddyread “Sing, Unburied, Sing,” for Reading Rivalry.


I read this for a PopSugar Reading Challenge 2022 prompt - “Sing, Unburied, Sing” was the winner of the Anisfield-Wolf award in 2018. At the end of the year I’ll make a post just for Popsugar to show what prompts all the books I read go towards.


Becca’s Bookoplothon - I read most of “Sing, Unburied, Sing” in September so for me it counts for this. I read it for the prompt of First Person, as it’s told from three perspectives, Jojo’s, Leonie’s - his mother, and a mysterious character.


There’s a theme of racism throughout “Sing, Unburied, Sing,” as well as an animal torture scene right at the beginning. There’s also a lot of talk about drugs and addiction, and one of the characters hides drugs from the police through swallowing them.


Spoilers below…


“Big Joseph is my White grandpa, Pop my Black one. I’ve lived with Pop since I was born; I’ve seen my white grandpa twice. Big Joseph is round and tall and looks nothing like Pop. He doesn’t even look like Michael, my father, who is lean and smudged with tattoos. He picked them up like souvenirs from wannabe artists in Bois, and out on the water when he worked offshore and in prison.”


The difference between white and black skin is brought up right at the beginning of and throughout “Sing, Unburied, Sing.” Jojo, who I’d say is the main character of the novel has one black grandfather and one white grandfather. His white grandfather, Big Joseph is a racist too. Jojo lives in Bois, which is a part of America in the novel.


Most of “Sing, Unburied, Sing” takes part in the car on the to collect Michael, Jojo and Kayla’s father from jail. I was actually a little put off right at the beginning where there was a rather unpleasant torture scene of a goat. I don’t know why it had to be described in such detail. I thought the writing of the novel was well done for the most part apart from the torture scene, so that’s where most of my praise goes for “Sing, Unburied, Sing.” I unfortunately wasn’t overly bothered about the main plot. 


“Leonie’s looking at the empty chair across from her, so she misses when I walk in the room, Kayla in my arms. Her head on my shoulder. Normally she’d be asking for a dog (she likes hot dogs for breakfast…But I woke to her touching my cheek right underneath my eye, looking very serious, not smiling. Her little hand like a stick burned with fire and now throwing off heat, red and black. As I walk into the kitchen, Kayla breathes little huffs into my neck. I rub her back, and Leonie finally notices us.” 


The children, Jojo and Kayla aren’t cared for at all by Leonie. She lets Jojo care for Kayla, who is quite poorly throughout the entire book. This actually made me really angry. If you’re a mother, you should WANT to care for your children in my opinion. Leonie didn’t. She was far more concerned about Michael throughout. The author definitely succeeded in showing the struggle and power/limitations of family bonds, as the blurb says. Other than that though, the novel really didn’t offer anything of interest to me. If read by a black person, or an American, they might find more from the novel, but I’m a white non-American so I didn’t feel touched by it at all, really. I read it more to fulfil a PopSugar prompt than anything else.


Another part to the story is the fact that Jojo’s Mam or his grandmother is dying. This was the best part of “Sing, Unburied, Sing” for me. It was a realistic portrayal of what it is to lose someone close. This wasn’t the main story, though. That was collecting Michael from jail, which as I said was quite boring.


Will they be a happy family at the end of the book? You’ll need to read to find out…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #5) by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Brighid's Quest (Partholon Series #5 Review) by PC Cast Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  This book was good.  It took me about 150 pages to really get in to unfourtunately, and even then I really only enjoyed the last half of the book.  This tells more the story of centaur huntress Brighid, although we do see others stories' within this book as well.  Spoilers below! The first 100 or so pages have nothing to really do with the overall plot. It's just Brighid and Cuchulainn (Cu) going to find the femorians that killed Brenna, Cu's lost love. Cu is hell bent on redemption at first but when he gets to know the "new femorians" he doesn't want to hurt them as most of them are only children without parents. He wants to bring them back to find their own redemption at Macallan Castle with Clan Macallan. The new femorians are given the power of restoration by the Goddess Epona. This kind of does come into play right at the end of the novel but I didn't think we needed everything the author gave us to understand what Cu and Brighid w