Skip to main content

Barbarian Alien (Ice Planet Barbarians #2) by Ruby Dixon Review

 Hey Foreverbookers, 

How are you all today! I hope you’re well! 


I few days ago I finished reading “Barbarian Alien” by Ruby Dixon, Ice Planet Barbarians #2, and I had SOOOOO much FUN reading it! Liz and Raahosh were fantastic protagonists, and I found myself howling with laughter often at their antics! For a pretty basic plot, Barbarian Alien had humour, serious moments as well as VERY sexy times running throughout to keep me hooked. I adored the sex scenes as they were loving as well as, well, horny. It’s how someone would realistically react in said situation, I feel, or at least how I would react! When I started it I wasn’t sure I was going to gel with Liz as she seemed a bit off putting but as the story grew, I was like, hey, this is me or how I would react in every situation. 


I enjoy reading from both the female perspective, Liz in this case, and the male point of view, Raahosh. Liz was very much me, as I said above, and Raahosh was a bit of a lummox to begin with but became a lovable hero by the end of the story.


In the first chapter of Barbarian Alien, we learn that Liz doesn’t want a mate. She wants a choice, which of course the “cootie” doesn’t give her. The “cootie” is another word for the “khui,” or it’s a Lizism (a word she uses) for the “khui.” The “khui” is how the aliens choose their partners, or how their partners are chosen for them. They resonate to someone and that’s it, they’re forever with them. When Liz has to go through the resonance ceremony, she resonates to Raahosh, who is at first a big, brute of an alien. She doesn’t like him at the start. Can she get over this dislike of Raahosh? You’ll need to read to find out!


I read Barbarian Alien for, I think one readathon: 


Reading Rivalry - A World You Want To Live - I want to live in the world of Ice Planet Barbarians because of all the hot alien males!!!


Spoilers below…


Before the true story starts, we see Liz and the rest of the girls that were stuck in the alien spaceship try to cope with losing their earth lives. 


“It’s cold,” whines one. “I’m so cold and I don’t have any pants! Where are my pants?”

“That’s because the aliens took you while you were sleeping,” I say brightly. “No one has any goddamn pants.”

Kira bats my arm with a slap, indicating I should shut up. Okay, so I’m not the most patient woman in the world. Sue me.”


Here, we see one of the girls, not Liz scared that she has no pants on. Liz being Liz isn’t the nicest, warmest of the girls at first, anyway. She’s very blunt and to the point, which is how I’d be, I think, as well. Maybe that’s why I like Liz so much, because I see myself in her. Kira, the protagonist of the next book Barbarian Lover, on the other hand is a lot softer than Liz. I thought Liz was funny throughout, and loved her quips back at Raahosh, her “sa-khui,” alien mate. 


“I think it’s a fair assessment to say that Raahosh is scarier than the others, yeah.

The fact that he’s staked me out as his property is . . . irksome. I told Georgie and the others that for a cheeseburger, I’d do just about anything. But having an alien lay claim to me feels . . . weird. I don’t even get a choice.”


Here, Liz is talking to one of the girls on the spaceship at the beginning of the book. She doesn’t like Raahosh here. She thinks he’s a bit of a bully.


Raahosh takes Liz to his cave in Barbarian Alien. This is the setting for most of the book. They’re alone for most of the story too. This meant that we saw a lot of them together, falling slowly but surely in love. Raahosh can’t speak English to begin with or so Liz thinks, so she gets a shock when he reveals that he CAN speak her language!


“…Maybe I’m being too hard on him. He is right about one thing, though—I never bothered to ask him if he spoke English. I just assumed he was an ignorant alien . . . which makes me a jerk.” Liz finally admits to herself that she is a “jerk.”


Liz and Raahosh have some challenges to overcome throughout Barbarian Alien. One of these is a “Metlak” attack! In “Ice Planet Barbarians (#1)” Georgie and Vektal have to overcome a “Metlak” attack too. In “Barbarian Alien,” Liz gets trapped between several “Metlaks,” evil alien creatures, and Raahosh saves her but puts himself in peril to do so, like any hero would for their woman. Does he survive the attack? And if he does, what does it mean for him and Liz? Does it pull them closer together? You’ll need to read to find out for yourself!


“My mate,” Raahosh says in a low voice. “When I say run, you must run. Do not argue.”

What is he talking about? Is he going to distract them so I can run away? “What? No! I—”

“Liz,” he says again, warningly. I look over and his hand clenches on his spear. “Do not argue with me. Now—go!” With that, he gives a battle cry and surges forward.

Fuck that noise. I aim my first arrow and let it fly just as the first creature opens its mouth and lunges at me with a snarl.”


At this point in the novel, Liz and Raahosh know that they’re each other’s mate. Of course, Raahosh will do what he can to protect Liz. Does he succeed. Part three ends on a cliffhanger so I won’t spoil it. 


Raahosh steals Liz away from the humans and the other sa-khui aliens at the beginning of Barbarian Alien, to see how she’ll react and to see if it’s true, if she’ll truly resonate to him. All he wants is love, a home, someone to call his own. I felt sorry for Raahosh, especially after learning about his past. His parents weren’t in love he tells Liz, they weren’t even allies, really.


“Now, I am not sure what they will think. I have broken the laws of our tribe, and Liz’s belly is still flat with no sign of our child. My only consolation is that she smiles at me and her hands reach for me when I am near. It is clear that we are mates, and I can see the envy in both Aehako and Haeden’s eyes.

They did not resonate. For them, life goes on cold and mateless, but with the added agony of seeing so many others find their joy. For the first time, I am the envied one. It is an unusual feeling.”


This is a moment towards the end of the book, where Liz and Raahosh have been found by two of the sa-khui tribe, Aeheko and Haeden. They’ll have their own books, trying to find their own mates, but at this point neither of them have resonated for a human girl. Raahosh is annoyed that Liz isn’t yet pregnant with his child but is pleased that she’s finally given in to her feelings for him. By this point they’ve had lots of sex to try and get her pregnant! I’m not sure she knows at the beginning what the main point of the sex was but by the end of the book she certainly does, Could this be classed as miscommunication? Yes, probably but it was very cute to read!


The sex scenes are very passionate in this series!


“I continue my exploration of his body with a few licks across the top of his shaft, the hard, ridged portion, and then move on to the thumb-like protrusion above it. “What do you call this?”

“It is a spur.”

“Is it like . . . a clit? Does it feel good if I touch it?” I drag my fingers over it experimentally. It feels different than his cock. Where his penis feels like velvet, but covered with skin and flesh. It doesn’t deflate or grow any bigger when his cock does, and when I trace my fingers over it, Raahosh doesn’t seem to react like he does when I lick his cock.

He shrugs. “Everything you do feels good.”

“But this doesn’t feel like . . . hmm. Like lightning strikes when I lick it?” I lean down and give it an experimental lick, watching his face.

His cock bobs in response. “Feels good,” he murmurs.

But I want him going crazy. So I move to his cock, squeeze the head in my fist, and then lick the slit. “And that?”

Before I can even finish my sentence, he’s bucking into my hand, panting. His eyes close and he falls back into the furs, groaning. 

“Yeah, that feels better. Okay, good to know.” I return to my licking and sucking of his cock, because it never hurts to stick with what a girl knows. I’m actually kinda glad his spur isn’t a major pleasure point, because I know how to work a cock. I don’t know much of what to do with that. I suck on him for a moment more, and then an idea hits me. I lean down and tongue the base of his spur while working his cock with my hand.

His entire body jolts. Raahosh gives a shout, and then my hand  is covered in hot, sticky cum as he crests once more.

I continue rubbing my tongue along the underside of his spur and he continues to come, his hips shuddering. I can tell he’s doing his best not to move so he doesn’t stab me with the thing, but I’m pleased that I made him come so hard. I lift my head and admire the cum shining on my fingers. “Guess you’re sensitive there after all.”

He stares at me for a long moment, and then grabs my hand. “I shouldn’t have—”

“No?” I interrupt before he can get all moody on me. “You wanted to come in my mouth?”

Raahosh’s nostrils flare again, the only sign of his acknowledgement of my words. Aww. He’s shy. I give him a blissful smile and then yawn. “I’m gonna grab some of the water and clean us up, and then we can go back to bed. ’Kay?”

The purring in his chest—and mine—has gone to a low rumble. His cootie is sated for now. Mine, too. I’m surprised when he gets up, and caresses my cheek. “Wait here.”


    I love reading sex scenes because it shows you just how close two characters are. Liz and Raahosh definitely start as more enemies but definitely become lovers by about half way through the book. And by the end they’re mates. Liz wants to know what the implement above Raahosh’s penis is. When he tells her that it’s a spur, she’s interested to know what it is. I thought this was cute. Liz is very up in the other character’s faces when something doesn’t go her way or when she’s confronted by the unknown, but when she’s interested in something on the quiet she’s not scary. She’s just someone with interest, like I would be interested in a TV show or a book, I think. 


    The main couple from Book 1, Ice Planet Barbarians, Georgie and Vektal play a significant role in Barbarian Alien, in that Vektal being commander of the sa-khui tribe is very angry at Raahosh for stealing Liz at the beginning of the book. Raahosh only did this to get some alone time with her to see if they would resonate for each other, but it’s against the laws of the sa-khui tribe. This means that he’s to be cast out, evicted from the tribe. Liz is very, unhappy about this as she’s just found out that the khui is real, that Raahosh is truly her mate, her forever partner. Of course at this point in the story Liz learns that she is indeed pregnant, just to add to her issues!


“You are everything to me, Liz. You are my world.”

“I love you, too, big guy,” I tell him. And then I perk up, because I have some news, however early it might be. “Hey, guess who is going to be a father?”

Raahosh’s eyes light up with happiness, and his hand reverently touches my stomach. “Truly?”

“Confirmed by the healer,” I agree. “Junior will be born sometime between nine months from now, and, uh, thirty-six months or something.” I’m trying not to think about that.

“Junior?”

“I guess we could Brangelina our names. Raahiz? Lizhosh?”

“Those sound . . . terrible.” His fingers trace over my flare belly.

“You’re not wrong.” I’m smiling. “I’ll give it some thought. Maybe shorter. Like Raaz or Losh.”

“Our child,” he murmurs, and places his head on my belly. “Our kit. We will be a family.”

I drag my fingers through his hair, petting him. “I like the thought of that. A family.”

Raahosh’s family.” 


    I thought this moment was ADORABLE! All Raahosh has ever wanted is a family to call his own after his past with his parents and now he’ll have that with his mate, Liz. Will Liz and Raahosh be able to be together or will they be kept apart, like Vektal wants? You’ll need to read to find out for yourself!


    Well, this story is one of my favourite romances I’ve ever read. Seriously, it had everything I love in it, from characters I could see myself in, to cute moments, to hot, hot, loving sex, to a pregnancy. The author captures the characters fantastically in the “Ice Planet Barbarians” series. She make them seem real, which is what you want when reading a book, however fantastical or made up the world is. Liz and Raahosh definitely have their setbacks and things to overcome throughout. Do they? Can they? Or do they end up apart, searching for one another because of the rules of the sa-khui tribe and their own issues? You’ll need to read to find out for yourself! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #5) by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Brighid's Quest (Partholon Series #5 Review) by PC Cast Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  This book was good.  It took me about 150 pages to really get in to unfourtunately, and even then I really only enjoyed the last half of the book.  This tells more the story of centaur huntress Brighid, although we do see others stories' within this book as well.  Spoilers below! The first 100 or so pages have nothing to really do with the overall plot. It's just Brighid and Cuchulainn (Cu) going to find the femorians that killed Brenna, Cu's lost love. Cu is hell bent on redemption at first but when he gets to know the "new femorians" he doesn't want to hurt them as most of them are only children without parents. He wants to bring them back to find their own redemption at Macallan Castle with Clan Macallan. The new femorians are given the power of restoration by the Goddess Epona. This kind of does come into play right at the end of the novel but I didn't think we needed everything the author gave us to understand what Cu and Brighid w