Skip to main content

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

 Hi ForeverBookers, 

I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays #1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)!


The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I think he’s mentioned towards the end, but I won’t spoil it. “That One Night” focuses on Rachel and Jake’s first meeting and the hot sex the couple have in their one night. This review will be short because the novella is just 73 pages.


“That One Night” is told in first person from both Rachel and Jake’s perspectives. This was interesting because we could see how much they both wanted each other, earnestly. 


I read this for one readathon. 


It’s LGBTQ month so Reading Rivalry are doing the colours of the LGBTQ flag this year. One book per colour of the flag, as well as an LGBTQ author, which I plan to read next. I read “That One Night” to get blue ticked off!


Spoilers Below… 


“Have you ever been to a yacht race, beautiful?”

The Chad McBoatface hogging all the air next to me hasn’t stopped talking for ten minutes. This walking Patagonia model must not be able to read, because I’ve got ‘FUCK OFF’ all but stamped across my forehead.

God, I just want to be alone to wallow in self-pity. Is that too much to ask.”


That One Night starts with this from Chad, someone who has an obsession with Rachel. Luckily, the character of Chad wasn’t in the story for long, as he was just really annoying! When Jake comes into the story, it’s all about HIM for Rachel! Chad isn’t even called Chad. He’s called Brad. Rachel thinks he’s called Chad because she doesn’t give a stuff about him!


Rachel is upset about not getting a fellowship. She’s a doctor. 


“It’s a form email, because of course. I wasted a year of my life applying to something and getting my hopes up only to get a form email where the bot can’t even spell my fucking name right.

Dear Dr. Rachum Price,

Thank you for your interest in the Berkley Fellowship, the nation’s premiere partner in advanced sports medicine. We were overwhelmed by the number of truly exceptional candidates this year. The selection committee has given careful consideration to your application. Unfortunately—


I don’t keep reading. I click the side of my phone and the screen turns black.

That’s why I’m stuck here with Chad and not at my brother’s wedding brunch. Call me selfish, but I couldn’t bear to lose it in front of Harrison and his new husband and the whole extended family. So I slipped away, ordered a taxi and came back here to wallow.

It’s not like I’m missing the actual wedding. That was yesterday.”


Rachel really isn’t in the mood to celebrate with her family at her brother’s wedding because she hasn’t got the fellowship, and the company couldn’t even spell her name right. Her professor thought she was a shoe-in for it, so she’s shocked that she hasn’t got it. I’m excited to learn more of her past and maybe WHY she didn’t get the Fellowship in “Pucking Around.” When Josh comes in to the story a page or so later when Chad or Brad is annoying her, he tells him where to go!


After that the story is full of sex, sex, sex, so if that isn’t your thing then I wouldn’t advise you reading “Just One Night.” However, if you like smut and lots of it then you should get on great with the relationship that develops between Rachel and Jake. Rachel just wants a no strings one night with this hot sportsman in the hotel after her brother’s wedding, to ‘get over’ the miscarriage of justice about her job. She doesn’t want to know his name or his sport or anything about him really. He tells her he has a twin sister, and she has a twin brother funnily enough but that’s all they learn about each other, as well as their obvious love for sex. When they start the arrangement, Jake is fine not knowing who Rachel is but by the end of the book he wants to know just who he’s fallen for. Does he find out, or does she disappear before he gets the chance? You’ll need to read to find out!


“Spread a bit, baby. You know how big I am.”

I flash him another teasing grin. “Someone’s feeling cocky.”

He laughs, grabbing my jaw and giving me a kiss that tastes like caramel sauce. “Yeah, you. Right now. You’re about to be so full of my cock. You’ll feel me everywhere. I want you just like this. Down on your elbows,” he says, putting a little pressure on my back with his hand. “Show me this sweet pussy.”

I drop down to my elbows, my face resting on my folded forearms. It leaves my ass sticking up in the air, his for the taking. God, I love this angle. Some girls say doggy style is over-rated, but for me? Lord, I live for it. I love feeling a dick driving in so deep. With his gorgeous cock, he’s going to hit me just right.

“Such a good fucking girl,” he praises, notching his cock at my entrance. My pussy clenches with eagerness as he pushes in. I gasp at the fullness, fighting a whimper as he holds tight to my hips. He works himself in me slowly, letting me adjust to his length as he goes deeper.

“You feel amazing,” I murmur, ready to chase the feeling of fullness, of being made whole. “You make me feel amazing. Please don’t stop.”

He stills bending over me. His fingers brush gently along the line of my jaw. “Look at me baby.”

I glance up at him, my heart stilling in my chest. He’s towering over me, owning me. We’re locked together with more than just our bodies. I feel him everywhere.

“Say the word, and I’ll never stop.” His voice is so earnest, his tone so eager.

Tears sting my eyes as I gaze up at him. “Never stop.”

And he doesn’t.”


This is one of the MANY sex scenes! Jake obviously wants Rachel and Rachel obviously wants Jake in that moment but will she want him at the end of the story? You’ll need to read to find out!


For a short book I LOVED “Just One Night!” It had everything I expected it to and a little more besides in terms of just how much sex there was! The smut was described in detail, which I loved but not everyone will, I don’t expect. If anything I’d have liked to have seen Jake and Rachel share a little more about their lives but I get that that will probably happen in the novel Pucking Around, so I’m super excited to read that soon and just see how much they get to know each other and if and when they admit that they’ve fallen for each other! I believe there’s another character that enters their relationship too, so I want to know more about that too!


Stand by for my next review, coming soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Court Of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #5) by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g